Do you leave radicals in the denominator?

• Thread starter lLovePhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radicals
In summary, when dealing with calculus, it is recommended to rationalize radicals in the denominator if it simplifies the problem. However, if it makes no difference in simplification, it is acceptable to leave them unrationalized. This is similar to using cursive handwriting - if required, it should be done, but otherwise, it is not a major concern when it comes to higher mathematics.
lLovePhysics
I read somewhere that you are supposed to leave radicals in the denominator when dealing with calculus. Before, I used to rationalize them to the numerator but my Calculus book now has the answers written unrationalized. So I'm wondering if I should start getting use to NOT rationalizing radicals in the denominator. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
lLovePhysics said:
I read somewhere that you are supposed to leave radicals in the denominator when dealing with calculus. Before, I used to rationalize them to the numerator but my Calculus book now has the answers written unrationalized. So I'm wondering if I should start getting use to NOT rationalizing radicals in the denominator. Thanks.

The idea is to rationalize whenever it is simpler. If it makes no difference in simplification then leave it any way you wish.

It's sort of like using cursive handwriting. If it's required of you by your instructor, then do it. Otherwise, it really doesn't matter. There are far larger things to worry about in higher mathematics.

- Warren

1. What are radicals and why are they important in mathematics?

Radicals are mathematical expressions that contain a root symbol, such as √ or ^1/2. They are important because they allow us to represent and manipulate numbers that are not perfect squares or cubes.

2. When do you leave radicals in the denominator?

You leave radicals in the denominator when simplifying a fraction or expression that contains a radical. This is because it is considered more simplified and in its simplest form.

3. Can you leave radicals in the denominator when solving equations?

Yes, you can leave radicals in the denominator when solving equations. This is because it is still a valid solution and can be simplified further if necessary.

4. What are the steps to simplify an expression with radicals in the denominator?

The steps to simplify an expression with radicals in the denominator are: 1) Factor the denominator to see if any terms can be cancelled out, 2) Rationalize the denominator by multiplying the expression by the root of the denominator, and 3) Simplify the expression further if possible.

5. Are there any instances where leaving radicals in the denominator is not acceptable?

Yes, there are instances where leaving radicals in the denominator is not acceptable, such as when the expression is a part of a larger problem or when a teacher or textbook explicitly states to simplify the expression completely.