Do you look down on chemists?

• Thread starter Okki2
  • Start date
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Ernest Rutherford was the one who said "All science is physics and stamp collection." Ironically Rutherford is remembered as a stamp collector!
fixed!

Pythagorean
Gold Member
You really enjoy seeing yourself post.
fixed!

I enjoyed his post as well!

Hail to Lord Confinement!!!! My weak mind has been enlightened!!!!! Thank you oh great one!!!!!!!!!!!
Say it again, but this time say it like you mean it!

Good thing that the majority of philosophy isn't pure BS or anything..... oh wait.........
Does this mean that you look down on philosophers? Because then I think Cyrus would find you 'pathetic' and would invalidate all your contributions to this thread.

You really enjoy hearing yourself talk.
You too would enjoy the ability to participate in a discussion beyond the level of shallow quips, if ever you were to reach such an achievement.

Say it again, but this time say it like you mean it!

Does this mean that you look down on philosophers? Because then I think Cyrus would find you 'pathetic' and would invalidate all your contributions to this thread.

You too would enjoy the ability to participate in a discussion beyond the level of shallow quips, if ever you were to reach such an achievement.
Tell me the ways oh wise one, bestow knowledge on me!

Well, I wouldn't say I look down on them. Do I find what they do meaningful? No. I have no problems though if someone enjoys philosophy. I do however have a problem with people who look down on other people based on what they do. Its arrogant...

I must say however that your arrogance is amusing. I'm chuckling my way through this thread pretty hard.

Tell me the ways oh wise one, bestow knowledge on me!
The first step is to completely discard sarcasm from your discourse , it is a jaded, negative form of humor with no lasting value. Try being silly instead, like when I retorted your accusation of my mumbo jumbo by accusing you of spouting mumbo-jumbo-gumbo, which is presumable a tasty cajun variation on the former.

Danger
Gold Member
This is starting to get entirely too personal. I'm not taking sides, but some folks have to step back and re-establish a rational discussion. Otherwise, I foresee this thread being locked in the near future.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
This is starting to get entirely too personal. I'm not taking sides, but some folks have to step back and re-establish a rational discussion. Otherwise, I foresee this thread being locked in the near future.
even in OT, we can't play?

GUMBO IS SERVED BOYS

• 1 cup oil
• 1 cup flour
• 2 large onions, chopped
• 2 bell peppers, chopped
• 4 ribs celery, chopped
• 4 - 6 cloves garlic, minced
• 4 quarts chicken stock
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning, or to taste
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 2 pounds of pealed shrimp
• 2 pounds andouille or smoked sausage, cut into 1/2" pieces
• 1 bunch scallions (green onions), tops only, chopped
• 2/3 cup fresh chopped parsley
• File powder to taste

Philosophical gumbo of course...

Well, I wouldn't say I look down on them. Do I find what they do meaningful? No. I have no problems though if someone enjoys philosophy. I do however have a problem with people who look down on other people based on what they do. Its arrogant...
If I really thought that philosophers did not say anything meaningful then I would put them in the same category as raving lunatics. Do you look down on raving lunatics? Let's leave mental illness out of this, lets say that they choose to be lunatics (actually I guess that is the popular definition of a philosopher).

Maybe it is just a language problem; do you look up to some professions more than others ? Then, if later in life you belonged to one of the professions that you held in higher esteem but your rankings had stayed the same, wouldn't you then be looking down on the careers that you previously had looked up to less?

For example, I certainly don't think being a chemist is a bad thing. When I was young I could say "I look down at criminals and aristocrats, I look up to chemists and engineers, and I look up to to physicists to an even greater degree." Now that I am a physicist I am required to 'look down' at chemists in order to maintain self-consistency, but that doesn't mean that I think chemist are bad, just less good, while criminals are bad and aristocrats are worse.

If I really thought that philosophers did not say anything meaningful then I would put them in the same category as raving lunatics. Do you look down on raving lunatics? Let's leave mental illness out of this, lets say that they choose to be lunatics (actually I guess that is the popular definition of a philosopher).

Maybe it is just a language problem; do you look up to some professions more than others ? Then, if later in life you belonged to one of the professions that you held in higher esteem but your rankings had stayed the same, wouldn't you then be looking down on the careers that you previously had looked up to less?

For example, I certainly don't think being a chemist is a bad thing. When I was young I could say "I look down at criminals and capitalists, I look up to chemists and engineers, and I look up to to physicists to an even greater degree." Now that I am a physicist I am required to 'look down' at chemists in order to maintain self-consistency, but that doesn't mean that I think chemist are bad, just less good.
Wow, you're rationalizing your own arrogance.

I'd like to know how you reconsile:

"For example, I certainly don't think being a chemist is a bad thing."

with:

"I look down on chemists"

Mumbo-Jumbo-Gumbo!

And ? Did you find the rationalization to be rational ?

For example, I certainly don't think being a chemist is a bad thing. When I was young I could say "I look down at criminals and capitalists, I look up to chemists and engineers, and I look up to to physicists to an even greater degree." Now that I am a physicist I am required to 'look down' at chemists in order to maintain self-consistency, but that doesn't mean that I think chemist are bad, just less good.
Well if you are talking about it in terms of you respecting one more than another, I understand. I interpreted your looking down on comments in a more disrespectful way than you intended I guess. Maybe you could have used a less harsh term to get your point across... If you feel superior to chemists (in a non disrespectful way), that's fine, its your opinion. No beef... errr gumbo... here

everybody is a philosopher, it seems. there's a reason philosophy is a lounge subforum.

And ? Did you find the rationalization to be rational ?
Nope.

"Chemists are not bad, just less good".

That's a pretty ambiguous statement. Actually, its a statement of disrespect towards chemists.

everybody is a philosopher, it seems. there's a reason philosophy is a lounge subforum.
I only see one "philosopher" here. Everyone else is trying to fend his trickery off!

Cyrus and NBAJam, I say without sarcasm that you really have gotten through to me. I never meant that chemists were bad or unworthy of respect and admiration. As I said, I am only maintaining self consistency.

I'd like to know how you reconsile:

"For example, I certainly don't think being a chemist is a bad thing."

with:

"I look down on chemists"
The reconcilliation occurs as purely logical technicality. I have always considered physicists to be greater than chemists, and I am physicist, therefore I look down on chemists.