Is a Masters in HSA Necessary for an Upper Level Job in the Field?

In summary: Yes!"Luckily that's why this program consists of an internship once the BS is acquired.There is a pernicious train of thought that goes along the lines of "If I just go to school for the right degree, I'll be entitled to a job in this field." That's not always the case. Sometimes people have the education and experience, but don't have the right skills for the job. In that case, an internship can help you learn the skills you need. That's not always the case. Sometimes people have the education and experience, but don't have the right skills for the job. In that case, an internship can help you learn the skills you need.
Danielle Sarah
I am currently on the path to receive my AA in General Studies by the Spring of 2016. From there, I will transfer to University and intend to acquire a BS in Information Technology. I previously wanted to major in Psychology but realize I do not want to enroll in another 6 years to complete graduate school and the job market is not very promising according to professors and other colleagues I have interacted with. I took a programming class this semester and failed, while I aced every other course I was enrolled in pertaining to IT. To find out, the IT degree program also requires you to complete multiple upper level programming courses and Physics (something I am TERRIBLE AT). So I was looking into other BS programs at the University I plan on attending and came across HSA (Health Services Administration). While my intention was to assist others initially in Psychology, HSA will provide me with the ability to lead a work environment and work in a prestigious medical facility. But IT usually requires a Bachelors Degree and you are set along with other certifications to acquire a prominent position, while I am not sure is HSA requires a Masters Degree to be able to be eligible to work at an upper level position/facility. I also figured HSA requires less upper level math courses and mostly management/accounting/HR courses, something I assume I will be strong at, along with an internship at the end of the Bachelors Program. So my question is: DO YOU NEED A MASTERS IN HEALTH SERVICES ADMINISTRATION TO BE ENTITLED TO AN UPPER LEVEL POSITION OR WILL A BACHELORS DEGREE BE ENOUGH?

Physics news on Phys.org
In my experience the people that get into senior health administration positions are those that work up to it through the ranks - so to speak. Often they are nurses or doctors with several years of experience. Some of them will go back to school for an MBA or some other kind of administration training. Some just learn on the job. In some cases people are promoted into administrative positions because they not effective in the clinic and administration is reluctant to terminate them for whatever reason.

I'm sure you can get into the field by doing some kind of HSA degree, but in most cases from what I've seen these are not entry-level positions.

Choppy said:
In my experience the people that get into senior health administration positions are those that work up to it through the ranks - so to speak. Often they are nurses or doctors with several years of experience. Some of them will go back to school for an MBA or some other kind of administration training. Some just learn on the job. In some cases people are promoted into administrative positions because they not effective in the clinic and administration is reluctant to terminate them for whatever reason.

I'm sure you can get into the field by doing some kind of HSA degree, but in most cases from what I've seen these are not entry-level positions.
Okay so let me get this straight, getting a Bachelors in this field will be considered entering an entry level position?

Danielle Sarah said:
Okay so let me get this straight, getting a Bachelors in this field will be considered entering an entry level position?

No. A bachelor's degree is getting an education related to the field. Once you have that you might be qualified for an entry-level position in healthcare administration, but I'm not sure what that would entail. They won't make you a nurse manager unless you have nursing experience. You might be able to apply for facility manager-type positions though, but even then they tend to hire management from within the organization already.

Choppy said:
No. A bachelor's degree is getting an education related to the field. Once you have that you might be qualified for an entry-level position in healthcare administration, but I'm not sure what that would entail. They won't make you a nurse manager unless you have nursing experience. You might be able to apply for facility manager-type positions though, but even then they tend to hire management from within the organization already.
Luckily that's why this program consists of an internship once the BS is acquired.

There is a pernicious train of thought that goes along the lines of "If I just go to school for the right degree, I'll be entitled to a job in this field."

I wish it could be true. I really do. But it is actually a sick joke. I still see people saying things like "If I go to school and study xxx field, can I then go and get work doing xxx at an executive level? And the answer to that is congratulations, you might get your foot in the door, but that's it. You still need experience and orientation, some of which can take many years.

Schools are great for teaching theory. They can not teach practice, however. The only way to get experience is to go out and actually DO something.

Likes Choppy
JakeBrodskyPE said:
There is a pernicious train of thought that goes along the lines of "If I just go to school for the right degree, I'll be entitled to a job in this field."

I wish it could be true. I really do. But it is actually a sick joke. I still see people saying things like "If I go to school and study xxx field, can I then go and get work doing xxx at an executive level? And the answer to that is congratulations, you might get your foot in the door, but that's it. You still need experience and orientation, some of which can take many years.

Schools are great for teaching theory. They can not teach practice, however. The only way to get experience is to go out and actually DO something.
Exactly! That is what many students want. They do want an education and an understanding of their subject, but they also want to know what things to do with it, as from on-the-job, in-the-field, real world practical experience, and training. Maybe internships are not promoted enough.

1. Do I need a Masters in HSA to be eligible for a good job in the healthcare industry?

No, a Masters in HSA is not always required for a good job in the healthcare industry. Many entry-level positions in healthcare administration only require a bachelor's degree. However, having a Masters in HSA may make you a more competitive candidate for higher-level positions and may also lead to higher pay.

2. Can I still get a good job in healthcare administration without a Masters in HSA?

Yes, there are many good job opportunities in healthcare administration that do not require a Masters in HSA. Some employers may value work experience and other qualifications more than a higher degree. It is important to research the specific job requirements and qualifications for the positions you are interested in.

3. Will a Masters in HSA guarantee a good job in the healthcare industry?

While a Masters in HSA may improve your chances of getting a good job in the healthcare industry, it is not a guarantee. Factors such as work experience, skills, and networking also play important roles in securing a good job. Additionally, the job market and demand for healthcare administrators may vary depending on location and other factors.

4. What are the benefits of getting a Masters in HSA for job opportunities?

Earning a Masters in HSA can provide you with advanced knowledge and skills in healthcare administration, which may make you a more competitive candidate for higher-level positions. It can also open up opportunities for career advancement and higher salary potential. Additionally, a Masters in HSA can provide you with a wider network of professionals in the healthcare industry.

5. Can I get a good job in healthcare administration with a different type of master's degree?

Yes, it is possible to get a good job in healthcare administration with a different type of master's degree, such as a Master of Business Administration (MBA) or a Master of Public Health (MPH). These degrees may provide a different area of focus and may be beneficial for certain roles in healthcare administration. However, it is important to research the specific job requirements and qualifications for the positions you are interested in.