Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you think air travel is safe? (honestly)

1. Yes, absolutely... I base it on statistics (safer than driving)

25 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Yes, as long as there is no terrorism on board

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. No... I believe that terrorists are a threat.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No. never thought it was safe.. now theres proof.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Aug 16, 2005 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2005 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nothing is safe, but sitting in an airplane is probably safer than walking down the staircase. The fact that all passengers survived a plane skidding off the runway and bursting into flames should increase your survival confidence.

What do the plane crashes have to do with terrorists?

4. Aug 16, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was wondering the same thing...it seems the poll options focus on terrorists, but the OP focuses on accidents.

I fly often and the only thing I worry about when I do is catching the flu or some other illness from someone in the airport. (Why does it always seem everyone sitting around me is sniffling and coughing?)

5. Aug 16, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Terrorism is a dismissable risk, along with that risk associated with an albatross getting into the jet engine (which also would occasion a disaster*).

*Not only for the albatross, that is..

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  6. Aug 16, 2005 #5
    Sorry about that... I'm fresh out from those political threads and so it was sort my feeling that there would be people who would consider that a threat outside of the usual factors... Prior to making the survey, I was only intending to have a Yes / No... but realized that it may not be as simple as YES / NO for some people.

Sorry for the confusion. I am a simple person with complicated thoughts... that's my major problem. :cry:

7. Aug 16, 2005 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to a physician who sat next to me on one flight, a recent study shows that the trays on the seat backs are the major source of disease transmission on aircraft. They don't get cleaned between flights, if ever. I had noticed that he wiped the tray with an alcohol swipe, so I asked.

8. Aug 16, 2005 #7

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

It might have something to do with increased humidity from having so many people together in a confined space, but that's pure speculation.

9. Aug 16, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The air on planes is pretty dry; I don't know about airports, but they seem like they have dry air too -- I always seem to feel thirsty in airports.

10. Aug 16, 2005 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The airconditioning causes a dry throat.. my tonsils always act up with airconditioning, licorice is really handy is such situations :smile:

11. Aug 16, 2005 #10
    Yes, the air is dry. There always seems to be some kind of chain reaction to it too (the sneezing / coughing i mean)... I really don't know what that's all about. I really should've added that Avian Flu component too... but o wells.... am I able to change it now? :confused:

12. Aug 16, 2005 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I would say nothing is completely safe, but air travel is safe compared to every other mode of travel in existence.

Related poll....

13. Aug 16, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A quick google Scholar produced this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7661830&dopt=Citation

A quick look did not reveal anthing about the trays except perhaps this paper:
    http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bpl/ntwe/1998/00000013/00000001/art00035
    but the context was not clear from the search results.

14. Aug 16, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Was that with or without a sick passenger on board? I'm not concerned about the air system harboring germs, just of spending hours in a crowded space with people coughing on me. Sure, I could get coughed on at the local mall too, but I don't often spend hours sitting around there like when I'm stuck sitting around an airport or am on a flight and don't have a choice over who's sitting next to me.

(I don't have access to the journal it was published in so can't see the full text.)

15. Aug 16, 2005 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Only the abstract is available for free. But of 45 flights, surely there were some flights with sick people on board. But direct contact with a sick person is obviously another issue. That happend to me at the Eiffel Tower. The guy behind me in line was sick as a dog and kept coughing in my direction. Two days later while high in the Swiss Alps at Zermatt, I was halfway to dead.

16. Aug 16, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, it was the direct contact that I was referring to. Don't worry, it's not that important; I was half-joking when I said it.

17. Aug 17, 2005 #16
    Okay according to the US DOT in the US alone in 2004 42,636 died in car accidents. In 2004 there were 75 from US airlines. So honestly which one is safer?

18. Aug 17, 2005 #17
    This isn't really an accurate way of measuring safety- as the rate would be, but that is kind of difficult. In cars you could go by fatalities/ miles traveled. But using per miles traveled for airplanes isn't very accurate. Given the gross difference between the two absolutes, flying is by far safer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?