Do you think all railroad crossings should be replaced with overpasses

• Thread starter Jupiter60
  • Start date
In summary, some people think that all railroad crossings should be replaced with overpasses, while others feel that manned gated level crossings were the best option in the past. There is no clear answer because it depends on a variety of factors, including how often emergency services are delayed and how severe the consequences are.
Jupiter60
do you think all railroad crossings should be replaced with overpasses? i do. there are times when emergency vehicles take longer to get to people because they have to wait for a train.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on a few factors:

1) How often are emergency services delayed by rail crossings?
2) When a delay occurs how severe, on average, are the consequences?
3) What are the costs associated with building an overpass (financial, legal, social etc)?
4) What alternative measures exist for bypassing railway crossings and what are their associated costs?

All of those are going to need some research. Do you know of any studies looking into the problem? It would surprise me if there weren't any, emergency services in my country at least are constantly scrutinised from a statistical standpoint.

Speculating now I would expect that there is little to no benefit in many cases, perhaps because delays are so rare and consequences so small that the money required to build an overpass would generate a better medical ROI if invested elsewhere (e.g. buying an extra ambulance/patrol car/fire engine/life boat/mountain rescue helicopter).

Jupiter60 said:
do you think all railroad crossings should be replaced with overpasses? i do. there are times when emergency vehicles take longer to get to people because they have to wait for a train.
That would be rather impractical, especially where grade crossing pass close to road/highway intersections. Rather, it would be more practical to dispatch an emergency vehicle from the other side of the tracks.

Is one referring to urban/suburban areas, or ALL grade crossings?

yeah, it would be extremely difficult to replace all railroad crossings. there's so many of them. if a railroad crossing blocks the only entrance to a neighborhood, i think it should be replaced with an overpass.

Jupiter60 said:
yeah, it would be extremely difficult to replace all railroad crossings. there's so many of them. if a railroad crossing blocks the only entrance to a neighborhood, i think it should be replaced with an overpass.

You're on a science forum remember, "I think" should always be qualified. Have you looked into this and tried to find if there are any studies on the topic?

The main problem with road/rail level crossings is that they create a location where road and rail vehicles are inevitably going to crash into each other . In 200 years of railway development no-one has ever really solved this safety problem .

Manned gated level crossings as used on the old uk rail system were probably the safest . The signalman did not set the signals allowing trains to pass until he/she had actually closed the gates and checked that there were no road vehicles blocking the line .

Modern practice on new high speed lines is to eliminate all level crossings and to provide bridges or underpasses for the road traffic .

Last edited:
Without any statistics, there is no way to discuss this other than meaningless speculation, so thread is closed.

1. What are the benefits of replacing railroad crossings with overpasses?

Replacing railroad crossings with overpasses can greatly improve safety for both drivers and train passengers. Overpasses eliminate the potential for collisions between trains and vehicles, which can be fatal. They also reduce traffic congestion and allow for a smoother flow of traffic.

2. How much would it cost to replace all railroad crossings with overpasses?

The cost of replacing all railroad crossings with overpasses would vary depending on the location and specific design of each crossing. However, it is generally more expensive to build an overpass than a railroad crossing due to the need for additional materials and construction time. The cost could range from a few hundred thousand dollars to several million dollars per crossing.

3. Would replacing all railroad crossings with overpasses be environmentally friendly?

Replacing railroad crossings with overpasses can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, overpasses can reduce air pollution and carbon emissions by eliminating the need for cars to stop and wait for trains to pass. However, the construction process itself may have negative effects on the surrounding environment, such as noise and disruption to natural habitats.

4. Are there any alternatives to replacing all railroad crossings with overpasses?

There are other options for improving safety at railroad crossings, such as installing warning signals and gates, adding more signage, and implementing stricter speed limits. However, these measures may not be as effective as overpasses in preventing accidents and may still result in traffic delays.

5. How long would it take to replace all railroad crossings with overpasses?

The timeline for replacing all railroad crossings with overpasses would also vary depending on the location and specific design of each crossing. It would require significant planning, funding, and coordination with multiple parties, such as local governments and railway companies. It could potentially take several years to complete the process for all crossings in a given area.