Doctorate in theoretical physics

In summary: I've gotten a job in. I've also worked in oil exploration and logistics. Basically anything that involves getting a computer to do something. :-) :-)
Uri Zlatnik
Hello everyone,

My name is Uri and I have a question.

What jobs are available for those who completed a Ph.D in particle and theoretical physics and made a postdoctorate research in string theory and quantum gravity? What kind of jobs are available to these kind of people besides working or teaching in university?

Physics news on Phys.org
A significant number (probably a significant majority, but I don't know for sure) work in finance and related fields.

Monocles said:
A significant number (probably a significant majority, but I don't know for sure) work in finance and related fields.

You rang? :-) :-) :-)

Anyway there is a market for physics Ph.D.'s in finance. The one caveat is that it's easier to get a job if you are a Ph.D.'s with large amounts of computation experience and/or exposure to real data. So someone with experience in lattice QCD or observational cosmology would likely end up in higher demand than a "pencil and paper" string theorist.

The other thing is that I know a few physics Ph.D.'s that ended up being technical project managers.

There are lots of jobs one would be able to do with that level of qualification. I know of a PhD graduate in that area (though they have not completed any post-doctoral projects) who now works for a major satellite manufacturer: though these types of jobs are normally open to physics Bsc graduate as well, it may mean that one with PhD level education will simply get more money or possibly be fast-tracked to a particular role.

twofish-quant said:
You rang? :-) :-) :-)

Anyway there is a market for physics Ph.D.'s in finance. The one caveat is that it's easier to get a job if you are a Ph.D.'s with large amounts of computation experience

So what other jobs can you get beside finance if you have a large amount of computational physics experience?

Uri Zlatnik said:
So what other jobs can you get beside finance if you have a large amount of computational physics experience?

Finance is the third industry that I've gotten a job in. I've also worked in oil exploration and logistics. Basically anything that involves getting a computer to do something.

1. What is a Doctorate in Theoretical Physics?

A Doctorate in Theoretical Physics is an advanced degree that focuses on the theoretical principles and mathematical models that explain the behavior of physical systems. It involves extensive research, coursework, and a dissertation, and prepares students for careers in academia, research, and industry.

2. What are the requirements for a Doctorate in Theoretical Physics?

The requirements for a Doctorate in Theoretical Physics vary depending on the specific program and institution. However, most programs typically require students to have a bachelor's and master's degree in physics or a related field, a strong background in mathematics, and a high level of academic achievement. Students may also need to pass qualifying exams and complete a research project or dissertation.

3. How long does it take to complete a Doctorate in Theoretical Physics?

The length of a Doctorate in Theoretical Physics program can vary, but most programs take an average of 4-6 years to complete. The duration may also depend on factors such as the student's research progress, the complexity of their dissertation topic, and their chosen pace of study.

4. What career opportunities are available with a Doctorate in Theoretical Physics?

A Doctorate in Theoretical Physics opens up a wide range of career opportunities in academia, research, and industry. Graduates often pursue careers as university professors, researchers at national laboratories and research institutions, or consultants for technology companies. They may also work in fields such as finance, data science, and engineering, where their analytical and problem-solving skills are highly valued.

5. What skills are developed through a Doctorate in Theoretical Physics?

A Doctorate in Theoretical Physics equips students with a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and critical thinking, as well as advanced research skills. Students also develop skills in data analysis, problem-solving, and communication, which are highly transferable and valuable in a variety of industries. They also gain experience in project management and collaboration through their research and coursework, preparing them for leadership roles in their chosen field.