1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does (-1)^n Converge?

1. Apr 21, 2009 #1
    Intuitively I would think that [SUM of (-1)^n] or [SIGMA (-1)^n as n->infinity] Converges to 0 but apparently it doesn't according to the test for divergence ????

Does it actually converge or diverge??? Why?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi zmike,

It doesn't converge:

1 = 1
    1 + (-1) = 0
    1 + (-1) + 1 = 1
    1 + (-1) + 1 + (-1) = 0

It keeps oscillating between 1 and 0.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  4. Apr 21, 2009 #3
    thanks, just one more thing,

so for ratio test, root test, test for divergence ALL work for alternating series? I am asking this b/c my textbook says they only work for positive sequences

also can I seperate a sum? so can I take
    [sigma an] * [sigma bn] = sigma (an*bn)? If not, wouldn't that violate the properties of limits?

Thanks

5. Apr 21, 2009 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The ratio test applies only to positive series.

For finite sums (∑a)(∑b) = ∑∑(ab) is true.

6. Apr 21, 2009 #5
    (∑a)(∑b) = ∑∑(ab)

What does the ∑∑ mean? take the sum twice? so is this also true with infinite sums?

also, does this mean that if either a or b is divergent, I can conclude that the series is divergent?

thanks

7. Apr 21, 2009 #6

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry about the confusing notation. Latex is not working currently and I didn't know how to write it.

Sum(i = 1 to n)[A_i] x Sum(j = 1 to m)[B_j] equals Sum(i = 1 to n)Sum(j = 1 to m)[A_i B_j]

For infinite series, if both the series are convergent, this will still work. If either of them is divergent, then clearly the left hand side is not defined.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook