Do infinite series always follow the associative property?

• Thread starter zmike
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the convergence or divergence of the series [SUM of (-1)^n] or [SIGMA (-1)^n as n->infinity]. It is shown that the series does not converge, as it keeps oscillating between 1 and 0. The ratio test only applies to positive series, and for finite sums, [∑a][∑b] = ∑∑(ab) is true. However, for infinite series, if one of the series is divergent, this property does not hold.
zmike
Intuitively I would think that [SUM of (-1)^n] or [SIGMA (-1)^n as n->infinity] Converges to 0 but apparently it doesn't according to the test for divergence ?

Does it actually converge or diverge? Why?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi zmike,

It doesn't converge:

1 = 1
1 + (-1) = 0
1 + (-1) + 1 = 1
1 + (-1) + 1 + (-1) = 0

It keeps oscillating between 1 and 0.

Last edited:
dx said:
Hi zmike,

It doesn't converge:

1 = 1
1 + (-1) = 0
1 + (-1) + 1 = 1
1 + (-1) + 1 + (-1) = 0

It keeps oscillating between 1 and 0.

thanks, just one more thing,

so for ratio test, root test, test for divergence ALL work for alternating series? I am asking this b/c my textbook says they only work for positive sequences

also can I separate a sum? so can I take
[sigma an] * [sigma bn] = sigma (an*bn)? If not, wouldn't that violate the properties of limits?

Thanks

The ratio test applies only to positive series.

For finite sums (∑a)(∑b) = ∑∑(ab) is true.

(∑a)(∑b) = ∑∑(ab)

What does the ∑∑ mean? take the sum twice? so is this also true with infinite sums?

also, does this mean that if either a or b is divergent, I can conclude that the series is divergent?

thanks

Sorry about the confusing notation. Latex is not working currently and I didn't know how to write it.

Sum(i = 1 to n)[A_i] x Sum(j = 1 to m)[B_j] equals Sum(i = 1 to n)Sum(j = 1 to m)[A_i B_j]

For infinite series, if both the series are convergent, this will still work. If either of them is divergent, then clearly the left hand side is not defined.

Last edited:

1. What is (-1)^n?

(-1)^n is a mathematical notation that represents a sequence of alternating positive and negative numbers. The value of n can be any positive integer.

2. Does (-1)^n converge?

Yes, (-1)^n converges to two values: 1 and -1. It alternates between these two values as n increases.

3. How do you determine if (-1)^n converges?

To determine if (-1)^n converges, you can use the alternating series test. This test states that if a series alternates between positive and negative terms and the absolute value of the terms decreases as n increases, then the series converges.

4. What is the significance of (-1)^n convergence?

The convergence of (-1)^n may have practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics. It can also be used to demonstrate mathematical concepts and properties, such as the alternating series test.

5. Can (-1)^n diverge?

No, (-1)^n cannot diverge since it has a limit as n approaches infinity. The alternating series test guarantees that the series will either converge or have an oscillating behavior between two values.