1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Does a charge radiate only when changing direction?

1. Apr 19, 2016 #1
    They say that an electron accelerating radiates and loses energy, and that is one of the reasons why an electron cannot orbit a nucleus:

- 1) does a charge accelerating in a straight line radiate, and what is the rate of radiation? do we have to supply extra Ke (apart from m/2 v^2) when we accelerate an electron?

- 2) Ke in the ground state of hydrogen is 13.6 eV, what energy per second should we supply anelectron to keep it in orbit,? I tried to apply the formula at wiki, but I get 1 Tera eV

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

None. The electron in the ground state is already in a stable orbital and cannot drop down any further. Note that classical E&M rules don't apply at the atomic level. For that you need Quantum Mechanics.

4. Apr 19, 2016 #3
    I am referring to the classical model, of course. I'd like to know how much extra energy is necessary to compensate the bremsstrahlung.

My main question, anyway, concerns an accelerating charge in a straight line, does it radiate?

5. Apr 19, 2016 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why not?
    Fast charged particles can be brought to a halt when they enter a solid mass and they release high energy radiation. That would involve 'linear' (negative) acceleration over a very short time (/ distance). I can't think of a mechanism that would produce positive acceleration with as high a value - except in nuclear reactions. But that would instantly take you into the realms of non-classical Physics.
    But you seem to be requiring an 'unhealthy' mix of Classical and QM, which usually means tears before bed time. :smile:

6. Apr 19, 2016 #5
    No, I am simply asking what happens when you accelerate (not decelerate) an electron.
    Also, I am asking, if a charge circles a nucleus with 13.6 eV Ke , how much energy is needed to compensate bremsstrahlung. According to Larmor formula it should exhaust its Ke in 10^-11 seconds., but I think it is naive to multiply 13.6 by 10^11. That's how I got 1 Tera eV. Did you get that?

7. Apr 19, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8. Apr 19, 2016 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is no difference. It's the same thing in different frames.

9. Apr 19, 2016 #8
    It seems like you are confusing energy and power. Larmor formula gives a radiated power, not an energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted