1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does a current instantaneously disappear?

1. Sep 11, 2011 #1

perplexabot

Gold Member

Hi all. I was working on a circuit question with inductors and I then had a question. Lets say we have a simple circuit with only a resistor, an emf source and a switch. We first close the switch and the current goes though. Now after some time we open the switch.

My question is: Just after we open the switch does the current instantly go to zero? Or will the resistor have a current running through it at that instant and then decay?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I believe the EMF takes a finite time to propagate, so when you open the switch not only is there a small amount of time that it takes for the switch to completely cut the voltage and current, the rest of the circuit should take a small amount of time to dissipate the remaining current.

4. Sep 11, 2011 #3

phyzguy

Science Advisor

If the inductance in the circuit were truly zero, the current would vanish instantly. However, all real circuits have some inductance, so the current will decay with a time constant given by L/R.

5. Sep 11, 2011 #4

perplexabot

Gold Member

Alright, so assuming the circuit has zero inductance (which is what I think my physics book is doing) then the current will immediately stop after the switch is opened. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook