Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does an indoor swimming pool cause a room to be "steamed up"?

1. Jun 24, 2014 #1
    Let's say we have two rooms in a mansion that have the same temperature. One of these rooms contains an indoor swimming pool. If the temperature outside cools down, will the room with the swimming pool "steam up"? Or will it rather be the other room without pool that does that?

I'm thinking the room with the swimming pool will rather do that, because that room has a high relative humidity and then it will condense on it's windows when they are cool.

How would you reason about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2014 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The room with the pool will have a ready heat source and heat sink. Of course, eventually the water will reach equilibrium with its surroundings, but during the cool off time, it might take longer for the room with the pool to cool off.

This works in reverse too. In times where the outside is hot, it might take longer for the room with the pool to heat up as well.

There won't be "steam", but there could be some condensation due to the room with the pool being somewhat more humid.

These are just some rough qualitative assessments though. How much these effects matter depend on the details of the situation.

4. Jun 24, 2014 #3
    I would reason it the same as you.

Chet

5. Jun 24, 2014 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An air lock style door system from the house to the pool area is not uncommon. Another option is a rotary door. To not employ such strategies invites mold problems in the house.

6. Jun 25, 2014 #5
    The reason that I'm asking is that in my textbook they write the following:

"The air above the swimming pool probably has a greater partial pressure of water vapor (due to inefficient humidity control) and, therefore, a higher dew point than that in the other room. Evidently, the temperature at the inner window-surfaces is below the dew point of the room with the swimming pool but above the dew point in the other room."

And I don't understand, do they mean that the room with the swimming pool is the more steamed up room or the other way around?

7. Jun 25, 2014 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Temperature below the dew point means condensation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook