Does an indoor swimming pool cause a room to be "steamed up"?

In summary: So the room with the swimming pool will have more condensation on its windows, making it appear more "steamed up" than the other room without a pool. In summary, the room with the swimming pool will likely have more condensation on its windows when the temperature outside cools down due to its high relative humidity compared to the other room.
Maxo
Let's say we have two rooms in a mansion that have the same temperature. One of these rooms contains an indoor swimming pool. If the temperature outside cools down, will the room with the swimming pool "steam up"? Or will it rather be the other room without pool that does that?

I'm thinking the room with the swimming pool will rather do that, because that room has a high relative humidity and then it will condense on it's windows when they are cool.

How would you reason about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The room with the pool will have a ready heat source and heat sink. Of course, eventually the water will reach equilibrium with its surroundings, but during the cool off time, it might take longer for the room with the pool to cool off.

This works in reverse too. In times where the outside is hot, it might take longer for the room with the pool to heat up as well.

There won't be "steam", but there could be some condensation due to the room with the pool being somewhat more humid.

These are just some rough qualitative assessments though. How much these effects matter depend on the details of the situation.

Maxo said:
Let's say we have two rooms in a mansion that have the same temperature. One of these rooms contains an indoor swimming pool. If the temperature outside cools down, will the room with the swimming pool "steam up"? Or will it rather be the other room without pool that does that?

I'm thinking the room with the swimming pool will rather do that, because that room has a high relative humidity and then it will condense on it's windows when they are cool.

How would you reason about this?
I would reason it the same as you.

Chet

An air lock style door system from the house to the pool area is not uncommon. Another option is a rotary door. To not employ such strategies invites mold problems in the house.

The reason that I'm asking is that in my textbook they write the following:

"The air above the swimming pool probably has a greater partial pressure of water vapor (due to inefficient humidity control) and, therefore, a higher dew point than that in the other room. Evidently, the temperature at the inner window-surfaces is below the dew point of the room with the swimming pool but above the dew point in the other room."

And I don't understand, do they mean that the room with the swimming pool is the more steamed up room or the other way around?

Temperature below the dew point means condensation.

1. Does the temperature of the pool affect the level of steam in the room?

Yes, the temperature of the pool plays a significant role in the amount of steam that is produced. The warmer the pool, the more steam will be released into the surrounding air, causing the room to become more "steamed up."

2. Can the humidity in the room be affected by an indoor pool?

Yes, indoor pools can significantly increase the humidity in a room. The evaporation of water from the pool's surface adds moisture to the air, leading to higher humidity levels.

3. How does ventilation impact the steam level in a room with an indoor pool?

Ventilation is crucial in maintaining a comfortable level of steam in a room with an indoor pool. Proper ventilation helps to circulate the air and remove excess moisture, preventing the room from becoming too "steamed up."

4. Can using a pool cover reduce the amount of steam in the room?

Yes, using a pool cover when the pool is not in use can help reduce the amount of steam in the room. The cover prevents water from evaporating and releasing steam into the air, keeping the room less "steamed up."

5. Are there any health risks associated with a "steamed up" room from an indoor pool?

Excessive steam in a room with an indoor pool can create a breeding ground for bacteria and mold, leading to potential health risks. It is essential to maintain proper ventilation and regularly clean the pool to prevent these issues.