1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone else have the problem:

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    Where when typing, or more often writing, where if a word ends in the same letter as the next word's first, you join the words together? I seem to do this, especially when writing by hand. Probably 80% of the time that I could.

Like this:
    I wantedinner so i wento eachotel.

Thats obviously extreme. But its frustrating by hand, and I feel like by the time my hand finishes writing a sentence my brain is thinking about the next page...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2008 #2
    I don't think I've ever done that...

4. Mar 7, 2008 #3
    I do that sometimes, especially with "the" and only when writing.

5. Mar 7, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I do that when I write. I was trying to find an example in some old hand written notes but I used to rewrite them if I made a mistake. I did find one page with 3 mistakes on though. :eek: I don't know what I was thinking that day.

6. Mar 7, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's a new one to me. I know people do that in speaking, but haven't noticed it in writing before. I make plenty of typos, especially the faster I type, but haven't done that one (at least not yet).

7. Mar 7, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was just thinking about this some more because I don't tend to worry about it, but I remember that I do this quite often with the words "with the" in that order and it comes out as "withe". I couldn't find an example since I tended to rewrite my notes if I made a mistake like that.

8. Mar 7, 2008 #7
    Kurdt, do you also have sloppy handwriting, possibly writing letters from the bottom up? I do, and my science teacher this year does similar and says it is "disgraphia"

9. Mar 7, 2008 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No not really. Here are my notes with other mistakes. :yuck:

[​IMG]

I don't know why I photographed them.

10. Mar 7, 2008 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, we learn from our mistakes. Now we can learn from yours.

11. Mar 7, 2008 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What would you call that? A 'sayo'?

12. Mar 8, 2008 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you used a Dvorak keyboard instead of a Qwerty keyboard, you'd be less likely to do that when typing. I have nothing when it comes to writing. Maybe you should buy a faster pen?

13. Mar 8, 2008 #12
    I never done it before...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?