Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone else have the problem:

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    Where when typing, or more often writing, where if a word ends in the same letter as the next word's first, you join the words together? I seem to do this, especially when writing by hand. Probably 80% of the time that I could.

Like this:
    I wantedinner so i wento eachotel.

Thats obviously extreme. But its frustrating by hand, and I feel like by the time my hand finishes writing a sentence my brain is thinking about the next page...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2008 #2
    I don't think I've ever done that...

4. Mar 7, 2008 #3
    I do that sometimes, especially with "the" and only when writing.

5. Mar 7, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I do that when I write. I was trying to find an example in some old hand written notes but I used to rewrite them if I made a mistake. I did find one page with 3 mistakes on though. :eek: I don't know what I was thinking that day.

6. Mar 7, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's a new one to me. I know people do that in speaking, but haven't noticed it in writing before. I make plenty of typos, especially the faster I type, but haven't done that one (at least not yet).

7. Mar 7, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was just thinking about this some more because I don't tend to worry about it, but I remember that I do this quite often with the words "with the" in that order and it comes out as "withe". I couldn't find an example since I tended to rewrite my notes if I made a mistake like that.

8. Mar 7, 2008 #7
    Kurdt, do you also have sloppy handwriting, possibly writing letters from the bottom up? I do, and my science teacher this year does similar and says it is "disgraphia"

9. Mar 7, 2008 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No not really. Here are my notes with other mistakes. :yuck:

[​IMG]

I don't know why I photographed them.

10. Mar 7, 2008 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, we learn from our mistakes. Now we can learn from yours.

11. Mar 7, 2008 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What would you call that? A 'sayo'?

12. Mar 8, 2008 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you used a Dvorak keyboard instead of a Qwerty keyboard, you'd be less likely to do that when typing. I have nothing when it comes to writing. Maybe you should buy a faster pen?

13. Mar 8, 2008 #12
    I never done it before...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?