Does anyone have any sleeping strageties on the plane?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the conversation discusses different techniques for sleeping on a flight, including using sleeping pills, depriving oneself of sleep before a flight, consuming alcohol, doing work, and taking medication for insomnia. Some suggestions include avoiding looking at attractive stewardesses, using a blindfold/earplugs/blanket, and reading a book. However, it is also mentioned that too much alcohol can be problematic and that sleeping pills may not be readily available in non-US countries. One person suggests using the tray from food to induce unconsciousness, while another mentions taking Benadryl as a sleep aid.
flyingpig
I ride on economic class and the seats are crammed, uncomfortable, and just overall terrible.

I've tried many sleeping techniques on the seat, but none of them are reasonable comfortable. Anyone got any techniques?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends how long the flight is and what mental condition you need to be in when you arrive. Sleeping pills can be good for international flights, and just depriving yourself of sleep before a domestic can be useful too.

Suitable amount of alchohol. Flying at night, when sleepy. Blindfold/earplugs/blanket. Avoid looking at attractive parts of stewardesses.

Too much alcohol, and not following last advice might be trouble.

Bring a lot of legitimate work that needs to get done. You'll naturally neglect it and fall asleep.

KingNothing said:
Depends how long the flight is and what mental condition you need to be in when you arrive. Sleeping pills can be good for international flights, and just depriving yourself of sleep before a domestic can be useful too.

Dude I am like 19, I don't want to do drugs lol.

Taking a treatment for insomnia can hardly be described as 'doing drugs'.

If you don't want to chemically aid sleep. Use the tray from your food to repeatedly smash your head until unconsciousness is induced.

I take no responsibility for any adverse effects caused by this sleep inducing method.

Last edited:
Depending on where you a from sleeping pills are often not readily available (I'm looking at you non-US countries).

I find that getting up quite early before the flight, having a small amount of alcohol, listening to music and reading a book all make me incredibly sleepy on a plane

I take a benedryl and go right out.

1. What are some tips for getting better sleep on a plane?

There are a few strategies that can help you get better sleep on a plane. First, try to book a seat that is near the window, as this can provide a more comfortable place to rest your head. You can also bring a travel pillow and eye mask to block out light and noise. Additionally, wearing comfortable clothing and using noise-cancelling headphones or earplugs can also help.

2. How can I adjust my sleep schedule before a long flight?

If you know you will be taking a long flight, it can be helpful to gradually adjust your sleep schedule a few days beforehand. This can involve going to bed and waking up earlier or later depending on your destination's time zone. This can help reduce jet lag and make it easier to sleep on the plane.

3. Is it better to take a sleeping pill or natural remedies for sleep on a plane?

This ultimately depends on your personal preference and health needs. Some people find that taking a mild sleeping pill can help them sleep on a plane, but it is important to consult with a doctor before taking any medication. Alternatively, you can try natural remedies such as herbal teas or essential oils to help you relax and fall asleep.

4. How can I stay comfortable and avoid pain while sleeping on a plane?

One way to avoid discomfort and pain while sleeping on a plane is to make sure you have proper support for your neck and back. This can involve bringing a neck pillow, using a lumbar support pillow, or placing a rolled-up blanket or sweater behind your lower back. Additionally, make sure to stretch and move around periodically to prevent stiffness.

5. Are there any foods or drinks that can help me sleep on a plane?

It is generally recommended to avoid heavy meals or caffeine before or during a flight, as these can disrupt sleep. Instead, opt for light, healthy snacks and plenty of water to stay hydrated. Some people find that chamomile tea can help them relax and fall asleep, but be mindful of any potential allergies or interactions with medication.