Does anyone have information on how exactly a atomic clock works?

In summary: The basic physics of an atomic clock is very simply, the idea is to simp[ly measure the frequency of a transition as accurately as possible and that is about it. There are of course a lot of technical details but you don't need QM to understand those.There should be quite a few review papers and reports around. Have you tried looking for articles in say Review of Scientic Instruments? I am sure you can also find info in some Technical reports from NIST and -if you want all the details- papers in Metrologia. After you have measured a given transition frequency very accurately, do you then use this frequency to drive an (Rabi) oscillation of the atomic levels?
IFNT
Does anyone have information on how exactly a atomic clock works?
I have had advanced quantum mechanics courses so I am sure I wil understand it.
My problem is that I can't find any descriptive materials (with drawings), the wikipedia page is very vague about the different things.
So can anyone redirect me to online materials or books that explains atomic clocks?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp50/primary-frequency-standards.cfm" what you're looking for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill_K said:
Is http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp50/primary-frequency-standards.cfm" what you're looking for?

Yeah, thanks. But are there sources with more details?

Last edited by a moderator:
The basic physics of an atomic clock is very simply, the idea is to simp[ly measure the frequency of a transition as accurately as possible and that is about it. There are of course a lot of technical details but you don't need QM to understand those.

There should be quite a few review papers and reports around. Have you tried looking for articles in say Review of Scientic Instruments?
I am sure you can also find info in some Technical reports from NIST and -if you want all the details- papers in Metrologia.

f95toli said:
The basic physics of an atomic clock is very simply, the idea is to simp[ly measure the frequency of a transition as accurately as possible and that is about it. There are of course a lot of technical details but you don't need QM to understand those.

There should be quite a few review papers and reports around. Have you tried looking for articles in say Review of Scientic Instruments?
I am sure you can also find info in some Technical reports from NIST and -if you want all the details- papers in Metrologia.

Thank you for your replies.
I am looking into atomic clocks because I want to know how you can use atomic clocks to get a constraint on the variation of e.g. the fine-structure alpha.

f95toli said:

I can only find materials on how to measure the transition frequency accurately,
But after you have measured a given transition frequency very accurately, do you then use this frequency to drive an (Rabi) oscillation of the atomic levels? I mean, what does an atomic clock consist of? How do you know how much time has passed?

1. How does an atomic clock keep such precise time?

An atomic clock uses the natural frequency of atoms to keep time. The atoms in the clock vibrate at a specific frequency, which is incredibly consistent and accurate. By measuring these vibrations, the atomic clock can keep time down to the nanosecond.

2. What type of atoms are used in an atomic clock?

Most atomic clocks use the element cesium, specifically the isotope cesium-133. This is because cesium has a very stable atomic structure and its natural frequency is easily measured. However, some atomic clocks use other elements such as rubidium or hydrogen.

3. How does an atomic clock compare to other types of clocks?

An atomic clock is the most accurate type of clock available, with an accuracy of about one second in 100 million years. In comparison, a quartz clock, which is found in most watches, has an accuracy of about one second in 10,000 years.

4. How is the time from an atomic clock distributed?

The time from atomic clocks is distributed through various methods, such as radio broadcasts, GPS signals, and internet time servers. These methods ensure that the time is accurately synced across different devices and locations.

5. Can an atomic clock ever lose or gain time?

Although atomic clocks are incredibly accurate, they can still experience minor variations due to external factors such as temperature changes or power outages. However, these variations are so small that they are almost imperceptible and can be corrected by regular calibration of the clock.