Does anyone know about austin texas?

• Thread starter lunarmansion
  • Start date
Hi Evo, Nice to hear from you! I have been away from the forums and have decided to get married. I cannot stand hot weather though. You are the only person who has nice things to say about it. I am told that it is scorching hot, in the middle of nowhere and there are no mountains or oceans or nice scenery. I like the North East. Also I recently got a really nice job and do not want to leave it because it is very promising in terms of my future career. Please convince me that it is worth moving for other reasons than the fear of making the guy upset by not moving. He is willing to move back in three years and willing to wait for me if I do not want to move
lunarmansion
Hi Everyone!
I might have to move to austin texas! What is it like there? I know I dislike hot weather, and grew up mostly in the northeast? I am told we do not have to live there forever! The guy I am getting married to has signed a contract and has to live there for at least three years. I am happy to get married but I do not like the idea of having to live in Texas! I am told that Austin is a University Town and I can continue my studies there. It will be a difficult move from NYC! I do not want to move to Texas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
lunarmansion said:
Hi Everyone!
I might have to move to austin texas! What is it like there? I know I dislike hot weather, and grew up mostly in the northeast? I am told we do not have to live there forever! The guy I am getting married to has signed a contract and has to live there for at least three years. I am happy to get married but I do not like the idea of having to live in Texas! I am told there is a university there and I can continue my studies there. It will be a difficult move from NYC! I do not want to move to Texas.
You will absolutely LOVE it! It is a wonderful college town, University of Texas. Lots of culture, very laid back, HILLY, lakes. I would move there in a heartbeat. My younger sister got her degree in psychology there and decided to make it her permanent home.

U of Texas is there. Hook 'em, horns! Great music scene, too!

The only bad thing I've heard about Austin is that it is hard to find a place to live because so many people want to live there.

Hi Evo,
Nice to hear from you! I have been away from the forums and have decided to get married. I cannot stand hot weather though. You are the only person who has nice things to say about it. I am told that it is scorching hot, in the middle of nowhere and there are no mountains or oceans or nice scenery. I like the North East. Also I recently got a really nice job and do not want to leave it because it is very promising in terms of my future career. Please convince me that it is worth moving for other reasons than the fear of making the guy upset by not moving. He is willing to move back in three years and willing to wait for me if I do not want to move but I do not think it right to stay here for what kind of marriage would that be--one that will most likely not work because of the distance.

I haven't spent enough time in Texas to give a blow-by-blow for all seasons over a series of years, but most of the places that I've spent time in have been pretty crappy weather-wise, although winter in east Texas (Orange) can be OK if you an ignore the stuff in the air, and spring (think the 5th of May) in San Antonio can be very pleasant, especially if you can include trips to the hill country. If you want to spend at least 9 months of the year in air-conditioned "comfort" and can afford that, it may be a great place to live.

I lived in Austin for about 4 years in the 90s. It's a very livable town (though there are outlying suburbs if you prefer that lifestyle.) It's the seat of state government, has a huge, world class university, and a famous music scene. It's also a fairly liberal town for Texas. Summers are hot, though I'm told that they are much nicer than Houston.

Texas can be a really nice place to live. I moved to the northeast from Texas, and I really miss the blue skys and clean air. It can get pretty hot during the day, but it's really nice at night, it's warm and you can actually see the stars. I bet you'll love it there.

lunarmansion said:
Hi Evo,
Nice to hear from you! I have been away from the forums and have decided to get married. I cannot stand hot weather though. You are the only person who has nice things to say about it. I am told that it is scorching hot, in the middle of nowhere and there are no mountains or oceans or nice scenery. I like the North East. Also I recently got a really nice job and do not want to leave it because it is very promising in terms of my future career. Please convince me that it is worth moving for other reasons than the fear of making the guy upset by not moving. He is willing to move back in three years and willing to wait for me if I do not want to move but I do not think it right to stay here for what kind of marriage would that be--one that will most likely not work because of the distance.
I forgot to say Best Wishes on your marriage! I am so happy for you!

I HATE hot weather, but it's not bad there, low humidity, beautiful scenery, nice Lakes, the Pedernales River, close to San Antonio, lots of caves. I am dead serious, I might retire there. When I lived in Houston I used to drive there almost once a week to escape to Austin because it was so pleasant.

The guy I met is a great person and says I can continue studying at the University of Texas for a while and work eventually when I am ready as his job is very stable. He is moving to Texas from Maryland. When one is used to living in New York and likes it, it is hard to move. I just feel a good marriage is probably good enough reason to leave certain things behind like a good job. I am getting more and more used to the idea of moving. We are planning to get married in the summer and I guess that is when I will be moving although he is starting his work this January there. I am glad to know that Texas is a nice place because my friends did not think so. My parents are not in the U.S. anymore and have retired and are just relieved that I am finally getting married--for I kept studying. But thanks guys--this forum has been great--. I am just glad that I found someone who encourages me to finish the new degree I am in the middle of--moving to Texas will probably be a small compromise as long as I can continue my studies there. And especially if it is not so bad as you all say!

downtownaustinlb9.jpg

http://www.photohome.com/pictures/texas-pictures/austin/austin-texas-1a.jpg

Austin is just simply not like the rest of Texas. From the quirky cast of characters that populate Congress Avenue to burnt orange-clad University of Texas students, bats to Longhorns, four-star restaurants to down-home barbecue joints, corporate CEOs to struggling musicians, Texas' capital city stands apart from the rest.

It's hip and trendy, yet in a vintage sort of way. It's high-tech and laid-back. It's politically charged and culturally rich. It's eclectic by nature and creative by design. Most of all, it's a place where people like to have a good time.

http://www.austintexas.org/visitors/about_austin

Last edited:
Ditto the others. I predict that you will soon feel at home in Austin. In fact, many people who move there fall in love with the place, so you can probably count yourself lucky to be moving there!

Evo said:
I forgot to say Best Wishes on your marriage! I am so happy for you!

I HATE hot weather, but it's not bad there, low humidity, beautiful scenery, nice Lakes, the Pedernales River, close to San Antonio, lots of caves. I am dead serious, I might retire there. When I lived in Houston I used to drive there almost once a week to escape to Austin because it was so pleasant.

Thank you. My parents are the ones most relieved to see me move in this direction. I was studying full time and working a lot and they thought I was becoming a bit strange, not wanting to settle down etc., etc and going for another degree! Thanks so much for everything--this forum has been really great. And I am determined to finish my math degree even if it has to be finished in Texas! Thank you everyone for everything! The best thing is to be married and to be able to finish studies! I am only glad to have found someone really understanding --he says marriage should not stop my growth and it is fine with him if I want to work or want to study for a bit longer. And surely from what you all say Austin Texas cannot be bad for a few years!

It'll take a little while for you to get used to the fact that the 'Horns WILL lose to OU or the Aggies or to Tech...but you'll get there.

PS: I'm speaking of football.

PPS: Congrats!

I think you will really enjoy the people in Texas. Even the people who moved there discover the hospitality is infectious. Always a nod and a hello. And when they ask "Can I help you?", they really mean it.
The heat..well on the plus side, the air is conditioned everywhere and that sweet tea is worth its weight in gold.

Thank you everyone for all of your replies about Texas! While I am happy to get married and be with a good person (good for me) --which is not easy to find-- the thought of dropping work, school and the place I like to live was weighing me down a lot. Our personal lives catch up with us eventually and we have to adjust that with our personal ambitions if we are not to be by ourselves. I am glad to hear I will be moving to a nice place to live and study and have started to have good thoughts about Texas!

Oh, and don't worry about the heat, everything is air conditioned there.

A long time ago I regularely frequented Forth Worth, Texas for a project with General Dynamics/Lockheed. On a certain occasion, it became clear that we had to transfer our return trip to Holland to a later flight, which required to call the Air liner company. But no telephone number avaible. So I found myself a bulky copy of the yellow pages and opened it at the beginning expecting to find "air lines" (yes, it was before internet). But this page only mentioned "air conditioners". So, I flipped the page, more "air conditioners", next page "air conditioners". Couple more, "air conditioners", and so on. I think I was somewhere half way the yellow pages before I found the "air liners", leaving me under the impression that half the Texan economy is about trading and maintaining air conditioners.

But indeed it was scorching hot, even before global warming.

Last edited:

1. What is the population of Austin, Texas?

The estimated population of Austin, Texas as of 2021 is 988,218 according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

2. What is the weather like in Austin, Texas?

Austin, Texas has a humid subtropical climate, with hot summers and mild winters. The average temperature in the summer is around 90°F, while the average temperature in the winter is around 60°F.

3. What are some popular attractions in Austin, Texas?

Some popular attractions in Austin, Texas include the Texas State Capitol, Lady Bird Lake, Barton Springs Pool, and the famous South Congress Avenue.

4. What is the cost of living in Austin, Texas?

The cost of living in Austin, Texas is higher than the national average, with the median home price being around $400,000 and the average rent for a one-bedroom apartment being around $1,300 per month.

5. What is the culture like in Austin, Texas?

Austin, Texas is known for its diverse and vibrant culture, with a strong focus on live music, arts, and outdoor activities. It is also known for its food scene, with a variety of cuisines to choose from.