Does anyone know about brusselators?

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
In summary, the expert in this conversation is not Jack, but Pythagorean. They explain that the brusselator is a mathematical tool used in the study of stochastic processes and that they are not experts in the subject. They say that if anyone else asks for help with the brusselator, they will suggest they contact Pythagorean or anyone else who is familiar with the topic.
jackmell
I just maybe realized something: out of the what, 2 million people in PF I may be the expert on brusselators. Surely it ain't so Jack. And I won't bore many of you reading this trying to explain what a brusselator is.

Well, someone in PF is asking me for help and I don't feel like it. I feel bad about it. It's not easy. I mean the brusselator. It would take lots of work for me to even review it as it's been a few years since I've worked on it. Got other things to do. Still I feel bad about it.

Surely I'm not the brusselator expert in here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Brusselator? Is that what you use to "persuade" kids who don't want to eat their vegetables?

jtbell said:
Brusselator? Is that what you use to "persuade" kids who don't want to eat their vegetables?

Ok, I'm sorry. I should have explained. It's a differential equation and what I'm sayin' is that well, if nobody else can do it out of the millions of PF members, and I'm the only one (with Mathematica code that runs nicely), then maybe I might feel a little obligated to at least just look into it. There are some very smart people in the DE forum though.

I had to write a brusselator program for my stochastic processes class last semester using the Gillespie direct method.

Pythagorean said:
I had to write a brusselator program for my stochastic processes class last semester using the Gillespie direct method.

Hello Pythagorean,

And you weren't interested in the Red Bull speed ball huh? Neural stuff, no? But I digress.

I seem to have lost the PM I received asking for help. I guess I deleted it thinking it was the same person who asked me a few months ago. Maybe though it wasn't.

Anyway, I would have asked you if you would have been willing to help someone with it but I don't remember who the person was. I really barely understand it; enough to write code for the Turing patterns to emerge, some other nice GUI stuff.

How about if anyone else asks me, I'll suggest to them they contact you or anyone else replying to this thread that is familiar with it. In that way I can help.

I'm no expert, really. The brusselator wasn't that engaging for me, it was just a homework assignment and the assignment as a whole was more focused on studying Gillespie's stochastic sumulation algorithm (ssa).

I have lived my entire life (> 50 years) and worked my entire engineering career without knowing what a brusselator is, nor even hearing the term until I read this thread. Thankfully, also, I was never forced to write a brusselator program using the direct Gillespie method either. Gillespie? Wasn't he the sheriff over in Sparta, Mississippi a while back?

Pythagorean said:
I'm no expert, really.

I mean me neither dude. I heard about them when I was a young boy. I had this Popular Science book on mathematics and it briefly mentioned the elusive "simultaneous system of non-linear partial-differential equations" and I was intrigued. It took me most of my life to find out what they actually were and since I live in a constant state of barely understanding the math I work on, these are no exceptions. :)

Last edited:
SteamKing said:
I have lived my entire life (> 50 years) and worked my entire engineering career without knowing what a brusselator is, nor even hearing the term until I read this thread. Thankfully, also, I was never forced to write a brusselator program using the direct Gillespie method either. Gillespie? Wasn't he the sheriff over in Sparta, Mississippi a while back?

It (Gillespie's method) is actually a pretty slick way of solving stochastic systems. If you want to do it explicity, you can't use your standard Runge-Kutta and/or Euler methods. The statistics don't work out. In stochastic systems, the step size goes as sqrt(dt) rather than dt :bugeye:.

well I mean if you guys wanted to start a brand-new thread about it and stuff, I might be willing to dig-up some of my code. I don't know so much about the statistics but I recall using only the build-in methods and techniques of NDSolve in Mathematica to generate all sorts of Turing patterns in 2D, and I guess I did some other things as well, mostly illustrating nicely the results in different formats.

I stopped working on it a few years ago because I didn't see anything new I could contribute.

I'm good; I have a dissertation and a manuscript to put my effort into, currently.

Pythagorean said:
dissertation

Good to hear that. Make something happen! :)

I guess I made a mistake starting this thread. I'm sorry. It's not that much work and at least now I know who it is so if they are willing to start a brand-new thread on coding the Brusselator in Mathematica in the coding forum, I'll help if I can.

Guess we can't just delete the whole thing right?

Last edited:

1. What is a brusselator?

A brusselator is a mathematical model used to study chemical reactions and the dynamics of non-equilibrium systems. It was first proposed by chemists Ilya Prigogine and Robert Lefever in the 1960s.

2. How does a brusselator work?

A brusselator consists of two coupled chemical reactions, one of which is autocatalytic, meaning it speeds up its own production. The concentrations of the two reactants are constantly changing, leading to oscillations and the formation of complex patterns.

3. What is the significance of the brusselator in scientific research?

The brusselator is an important model for understanding self-organization and pattern formation in chemical systems. It has also been used to study biological processes such as the development of animal coat patterns and the formation of complex structures in living cells.

4. Can the brusselator be applied to other fields of study?

Yes, the principles of the brusselator have been applied to a wide range of fields, including physics, biology, and economics. It is a useful tool for studying non-linear dynamics and self-organization in various systems.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the brusselator?

While the brusselator is primarily a theoretical model, it has been applied to practical problems such as predicting and controlling chemical reactions in industrial processes. It has also been used in the development of new drugs and materials with specific properties.