Does anyone know how charlie (from numbers) was able to determine the

• Thread starter baconbits423
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, Charlie (from Numbers) was able to determine the starting point of something by using principles of motion in two and three dimensions, making approximations with the help of other variables such as wind and analyzing the spread of objects. This was demonstrated through examples such as determining the point of a sprinkler by the water drops it produced and locating a serial killer by analyzing the locations of their attacks. These methods involve both physics and applied mathematics. Additionally, the experiment of dropping marbles and finding the location of the cup also involves considering variables such as wind, height, surface type, and number of marbles used. By analyzing these variables, one can determine the most likely location of the cup.
baconbits423
Does anyone know how charlie (from numbers) was able to determine the starting point of something just by looking at locations it hit, the example he used was determining the point of a sprinkler by the water drops it produced.:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
baconbits423 said:
Does anyone know how charlie (from numbers) was able to determine the starting point of something just by looking at locations it hit, the example he used was determining the point of a sprinkler by the water drops it produced.:rolleyes:

Well, he probably used some of the reasoning for motion in two and three dimensions and made approximations with the help of other variables such as wind and so on.

Think about it. What will go the longest distance - water traveling against the wind or with no wind at all (assuming a horizontal initial direction)? Does a Frisbee travel a longer distance if it is through against the wind (assuming a 45 degree initial direction) or with it?

In a way, it is a fine line between physics and applied mathematics.

I've noticed that it helps to have the writers on your side!

He applied this to finding a serial killer by analyzing the locations he hit and used that to locate where he probably lived or worked, can anyone explain how he did that?

I would really like to apply this to a problem i am working on if anyone can help, my high school math teachers arent much help so i thought i would try here.

baconbits423 said:
He applied this to finding a serial killer by analyzing the locations he hit and used that to locate where he probably lived or worked, can anyone explain how he did that?

I would really like to apply this to a problem i am working on if anyone can help, my high school math teachers arent much help so i thought i would try here.

That particular episode used a lot of variables that may or may not be purely scientific - assumptions were made that serial snipers do not attack far from home, where he or she 'feels comfortable'. I just realized that I am now describing the episode where the initial sniper lead to other people attacking in similar ways. Anyway, the same basic 'principle' applied to that particular episode as well.

Although that form of applied science can hardly be that accurate in terms of exact position of the killer. I'm not really sure, but wasn't there other variables Charlie took into account as well?

I am not going to go out and solve murders or anything but how could i say dump out a cup of marbles and find the location of the cup just by looking at the marbles?

A couple of different variables arises right away such as wind, the height from which they are dropped, how level the ground is, what type of ground it is, how much deviation from a complete horizontal drop you have, how many marbles you use, what material they are made off, if the cup is at rest or with what velocity when you drop the marbles and so on.

Try to work out why these play a more or less significant role in this experiment. It is just as the intro to Nub3rs - look at one thing at a time, find what you need to find and see if the different things effect each other and not only the marbles eg. the height from which they are dropped is not only important because you can then estimate the kinetic energy they will have at first impact, but also how long the wind (if there are any) will have to affect them.

Ok now how do i use this information to find the location of the cup, it is inside in a level table with a run on it there are 8 marbles dropped from 6 inches or placed randomly by hand.

Ask yourself which (if any) of the variables I wrote in my earlier post vanishes if you have the setup like you have described.

Some do but i don't understand how to use this info to find the location of the cup, that is what i need help with.

baconbits423 said:
Some do but i don't understand how to use this info to find the location of the cup, that is what i need help with.

Ok, how if I rephrase the question like this: "What will effect the marbles when dropped from a cup from a level table indoors(?)". It isn't hard to figure out.

There isn't any wind indoors, nor can the marbles land one billion meters from the cup either. What can possibly effect the spread of the marbles? I won't do your project for you, so I can only give you clues to it. analyze the variables I posted in my 3rd post in this thread and see if and how much they apply :)

Ok say i don't dump the marbles out but i place each of them individually in different spots on the table like the serial killer in numbers chose his targets.
How can i find the pile that i originally took the marbles from assuming i took the marbles from a pile on the same table that i place the marbles on.

BY the way this is not a school project, it is just something i am trying to do for fun so you don't have to worry about giving away to much.

1. How did Charlie from "Numbers" use math to solve crimes?

Charlie is a mathematical genius who uses various mathematical concepts such as probability, statistics, and game theory to analyze data and patterns in order to solve crimes. He also uses algorithms and computer modeling to help him in his investigations.

2. Is Charlie's ability to solve crimes solely based on his mathematical skills?

While Charlie's mathematical skills play a crucial role in his ability to solve crimes, he also relies on his intuition and deductive reasoning to make connections and solve complex cases.

3. How realistic is Charlie's approach to solving crimes in the show?

While the show exaggerates some aspects for entertainment purposes, the basis of Charlie's methods is rooted in real mathematical principles and techniques used in law enforcement and criminal investigations.

4. Are the cases and solutions presented in "Numbers" accurate and plausible?

While some cases and solutions may be loosely based on real events, the show is ultimately a work of fiction and the accuracy and plausibility of the cases can vary.

5. Can anyone learn to use math to solve crimes like Charlie?

While not everyone may have the same level of mathematical aptitude as Charlie, anyone can improve their problem-solving skills and understanding of math concepts to approach problems in a more analytical and logical manner.