1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone understand this answer? proving sin(A-B)

1. Jan 17, 2008 #1
    I had no clue how to do this and could only grasp the first basic parts but even then i couldn't get it right and in the end i had to look at the answer, which confused me even more. So i was wondering if anyone else understands this, and if so could you describe it in words please?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations
    As above

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand the first part, getting cos B from the graph...yet when it gets to the other part '...angle in the bottom right hand corner of the triangle is PI - A...' i don't understand how they came to that...but i was wondering, the sin (PI/2 - A) seems to be related to a trigonometric identity? If someone could explain it that would be great.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The angle in the bottom right hand corner is NOT [itex]\pi- A[/itex]. The two non-right angles in a right triangle must add to [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. Since the whole angle in the upper left is A, the angle in the bottom righthand corner is [itex]\pi/2- A[/itex].
  4. Jan 17, 2008 #3
    Thank you for that, it clears some of the confusion, thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?