1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does Apostol ever introduce Trig Substitutions ?

1. Aug 26, 2011 #1
    Does Apostol ever introduce "Trig Substitutions"?

I took Calculus before, but I am going over Apostol's Calculus Vol. 1 book. In section 5.7 he introduces Integration by Substitution, but never really discusses what was commonly referred to as "Trig Substitutions" in my Calc classes. For instance, #16 in section 5.8 is

[itex]\int(x^2+1)^{\frac{-3}{2}}dx[/itex]

Now I know (from my previous class) that I can solve this by letting [itex]x=tan\theta[/itex], but Apostol never introduced this notion. More importantly, to properly solve it in terms of [itex]x[/itex] I will need to use [itex]arctan[/itex], which isn't introduced until section 6. Just wondering if there's a way to solve it without using trig substitutions.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2011 #2
    Re: Does Apostol ever introduce "Trig Substitutions"?

Trig substitutions tend to come after u-substitution. Have you looked in other chapters?

4. Aug 26, 2011 #3

Yes, section 5.7 is "u-substitution", and section 5.8 contains the exercises which pertain to it. He does several examples of the typical u-substitution methods, but then comes question 16. I skimmed section 6.21, where he introduces the inverse trig functions, but there's mostly integration of the inverse trig functions, not using them as substitution.

5. Aug 26, 2011 #4

Got it. He probably wants this solution at this stage:

Let [itex]u=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}[/itex], then [itex]du=(x^2+1)^\frac{-3}{2}dx[/itex]
    [itex]\int(x^2+1)^\frac{-3}{2}dx=\int du = u + C = \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}} + C[/itex]

I suppose that's useful (to be able to recognize that setting u to that value will yield a desirable result), but I hope he does hit trig substitutions at some point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook