• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Integration by u substitution for inverse trig formulas

Homework Statement

You know the U substitution proofs for inverse trig functions that go like this:

[itex]\int\frac{1}{a^{2}+x^{2}}dx[/itex]

[itex]\int\frac{a\frac{1}{a}}{a(1+\frac{x^2}{a^2})}dx[/itex]

let u = x/a

du= dx/a

[itex]\frac{1}{a}tan^{-1}(x/a)+c[/itex]

I have searched google and can't find any of these proofs for the other trigonometric functions like sin and tan. Where can I find step by steps of these particular integration generalizations?

Do these U substitution methods for inverse trig functions have some sort of specific name?

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Hallsofivy, really appreciate it. However, of the links you kindly provided, there is only one instance of a formula of which i'm describing. One for arcsin. But there seems to be no resource on the web that displays all or even 2 or 3 of these particular formulas. I've searched every combination of "inverse," "trigonometric," "integration," "subsititution," "formula(s)." I don't know how else to describe these specific formulas. Do you have any other keyword suggestions or links that provide on this integration topic?

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

You know the U substitution proofs for inverse trig functions that go like this:

[itex]\int\frac{1}{a^{2}+x^{2}}dx[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \int\frac{\not{a}\frac{1}{a}}{a(1+\frac{x^2}{a^2})}dx[/itex]
I have crossed out an extra letter a , which you had in the numerator.
let u = x/a

du= dx/a

[itex]\frac{1}{a}tan^{-1}(x/a)+c[/itex]

I have searched google and can't find any of these proofs for the other trigonometric functions like sin and tan. Where can I find step by steps of these particular integration generalizations?

Do these U substitution methods for inverse trig functions have some sort of specific name?
I don't see how what you have is much of a proof of anything.

You can get this from taking the derivative of tan-1(x/a).
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{a}\right)=\frac{1}{a}\frac{1}{(x/a)^2+1}[/itex]​

To do something similar with arcsin & arccos, go ahead and take the derivatives:

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{a}\right)[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\cos^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{a}\right)[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{a}\right)=\frac{1}{a}\frac{1}{(x/a)^2+1}[/itex]​

To do something similar with arcsin & arccos, go ahead and take the derivatives:

I didn't mean proof, sorry about that. I guess I just meant formula. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

[itex]sin^{-1}\frac{x}{a}=y[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}sin^{-1}=\frac{d}{dx}\frac{x}{a}[/itex]

[itex]cos(y)y'= \frac{1}{a}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\frac{1}{acos(y)}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\frac{1}{acos(sin^{-1}(\frac{x}{a})^{2})}[/itex]

Trig Identity: [itex]sin^{2}y+cos^{2}y=1[/itex]

cosy=[itex]\sqrt{1-(\frac{x}{a})^2}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\frac{1}{acos(y)}=\frac{1}{a\sqrt{1-(\frac{x}{a})^{2}}}[/itex]

So when I do the derivative of arcsine, I get [itex]\frac{d}{dx}sin^{-1}\frac{x}{a}=\frac{1}{a\sqrt{1-(\frac{x}{a})^{2}}}[/itex]

However, the formula states:

[itex]\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}dx=sin^{-1}\frac{x}{a}+C[/itex]

I seem to have gotten an "a" outside of the radical and a "1" inside the radical, while the formula shows nothing outside the radical and an "[itex]a^{2}[/itex] inside the radical. Where might I have gone off track to arrive at a final answer with misarranged variables?

EDIT:

I think I see it, would it just be a matter of distributing the "a" into the radical?

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

So when I do the derivative of arcsine, I get [itex]\frac{d}{dx}sin^{-1}\frac{x}{a}=\frac{1}{a\sqrt{1-(\frac{x}{a})^{2}}}[/itex]

However, the formula states:

[itex]\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}dx=sin^{-1}\frac{x}{a}+C[/itex]

I seem to have gotten an "a" outside of the radical and a "1" inside the radical, while the formula shows nothing outside the radical and an "[itex]a^{2}[/itex] inside the radical. Where might I have gone off track to arrive at a final answer with misarranged variables?

EDIT:

I think I see it, would it just be a matter of distributing the "a" into the radical?
Yes, they are equivalent.

Thanks SammyS,

Also,

You show that the derivative of arctanx is:

But if I am interested in deriving the function [itex]\frac{1}{a}tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{a})[/itex] for this particular formula, does the extra fraction [itex]\frac{1}{a}[/itex] that the function to be derived includes account for the final result of [itex]\frac{1}{a}\frac{1}{a}\frac{1}{(\frac{x}{a})^{2}+1}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{x^{2}+a^{2}}[/itex]?

Last edited:
SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Thanks SammyS,
Also,

You show that the derivative of arctanx is:

But if I am interested in deriving the function [itex]\frac{1}{a}tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{a})[/itex] for this particular formula, does the extra fraction [itex]\frac{1}{a}[/itex] that the function to be derived includes account for the final result of [itex]\frac{1}{a}\frac{1}{a}\frac{1}{(\frac{x}{a})^{2}+1}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{x^{2}+a^{2}}[/itex]?
The algebra says yes.