Does Beer-Lambert's law calculate the absorbance of a solute

I'm currently doing a project that involves beer-lambert's law and am confused as to what it actually calculates. So far, my intuition goes as follows: The molar extinction coefficient is for the solvent at a specific concentration and wavelength. In this case, it is blood. And if you have to calculate the concentration of a solute, then you have to get a wavelength that is primarily absorbed by the solute. So the question is: if I have another wavelength that primarily absorbs something in the blood, then will the molar extinction coefficient be that of blood at that wavelength?

Borek

Mentor
Very roughly speaking measured absorbance is a sum of individual absorbances of all substances present. Doesn't make much sense to speak of "molar extinction coefficient" of a mixture with variable composition.

This is actually much more complicated, as it works reasonably well only for diluted solutions, but that's the general idea.

How would I get the most accurate results?

Borek

Mentor
Most accurate results of what?

Sorry for not clarifying - the absorption of the solute in the blood. I'm using an LED and a photodiode for detection. Would I just use the molar extinction coefficient of the blood?

Borek

Mentor
No, you need to prepare the sample so that you measure absorbance of the solute you are interested in. There are no simple rules here, sample preparation is not something where a single recipe works for everything. Sometimes you need to extract the solute, sometimes you need to add things that will destroy/precipitate other interfering substances. The more complicated the solution, the more elaborate the procedures are. Blood is quite a difficult mixture to analyze.