Does Closure of Y Guarantee Continuity of Projection in Norm Space X?

In summary: So I'll just say that "in summary, if X is a norm space and X=Y+Z, then the projection y+z\mapsto z is continuous if Z is finite-dimensional."
jostpuur
Let X be a norm space, and X=Y+Z so that [itex]Y\cap Z=\{0\}[/itex]. Let P:X->Z be the projection [itex]y+z\mapsto z[/itex], when [itex]y\in Y[/itex] and [itex]z\in Z[/itex].

I see, that if P is continuous, then Y must be closed, because [itex]Y=P^{-1}(\{0\})[/itex].

Is the converse true? If Y is closed, does it make the projection continuous?

If yes, fine. If not, would finite dimensionality of Z make P continuous then?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming Y and Z are linear subspaces, the converse is false in general. The root of the problem is that Z may not be a closed subspace, even when Y is. For instance, take [itex]Y=c_0[/itex] and [itex]X=\ell_\infty[/itex]. It is a well-known theorem that [itex]c_0[/itex] is not complemented in [itex]\ell_\infty[/itex], i.e. that there does not exist a closed subspace Z such that [itex]X=Y \oplus Z[/itex]. But using a standard Zorn's lemma argument, we can produce a linear subspace Z of X such that [itex]X=Y \oplus Z[/itex]. This implies that I-P is not continuous, since ker(I-P)=Z is not closed. As a result, P is not continuous either.

Edit:
If Z is finite-dimensional, then P is always going to be continuous. I'll let you figure out why.

Last edited:
morphism said:
Edit:
If Z is finite-dimensional, then P is always going to be continuous. I'll let you figure out why.

Frankly, I think you left a pretty damn big task for me! Fortunately I had got some explanations for this from elsewhere too. I think I understood how this is done now, by considering some basis [itex]\{e_1,\ldots,e_n\}[/itex] of Z, linear functionals [itex]f_i:Z\to\mathbb{C}[/itex], [itex]\alpha_1 e_1+\cdots\alpha_n e_n\mapsto \alpha_i[/itex], and Hahn-Banach theorem. To be fully precise, I was told how to choose Y so that it becomes closed. Now I realized how the same procedure gives also the continuous projection.

morphism said:
If Z is finite-dimensional, then P is always going to be continuous.

Are you sure this is fully correct? I think it is possible to choose P:X->Z so that it is continuous, but isn't it also possible to choose it so that it is not continuous?

Edit: I see. You meant, that when Z is finite dimensional and Y is fixed and closed, then [itex]y+z\mapsto z[/itex] is always going to be continuous? It could be true, but I'm not sure how to show it.

Last edited:
jostpuur said:
Edit: I see. You meant, that when Z is finite dimensional and Y is fixed and closed, then [itex]y+z\mapsto z[/itex] is always going to be continuous? It could be true, but I'm not sure how to show it.
That is what I meant. This follows from the fact that finite dimensional subspaces are closed.

But since, as you observed, finite dimensional subspaces are always complemented, we don't really need to start with the assumption that Y is closed.

morphism said:
That is what I meant. This follows from the fact that finite dimensional subspaces are closed.

But since, as you observed, finite dimensional subspaces are always complemented, we don't really need to start with the assumption that Y is closed.

Do you also mean that this is true: "If Y and Z are closed, then projection X->Z is continuous."?

Hold on... All along I've been assuming that X is a Banach space, but I've just reread your original post and noticed that X is only normed. In this case, it's not necessarily true that the projection X->Z is continuous, even if Z and its complement are closed, but I can't come up with an easy example.

Related to Does Closure of Y Guarantee Continuity of Projection in Norm Space X?

1. What is the "Projection Continuity Problem"?

The Projection Continuity Problem is a challenge faced by scientists and researchers when trying to create a continuous and accurate representation of a three-dimensional object or space on a two-dimensional surface or plane.

2. Why is the Projection Continuity Problem important?

The Projection Continuity Problem is important because it affects the accuracy and validity of any scientific data or models that rely on projections. It can also impact our understanding of the world around us and how we interpret and analyze information.

3. What factors contribute to the Projection Continuity Problem?

There are several factors that contribute to the Projection Continuity Problem, including the shape and complexity of the object being projected, the type of projection used, and the limitations of the projection method or technology being used.

4. How do scientists address the Projection Continuity Problem?

Scientists address the Projection Continuity Problem by using a combination of mathematical and computational techniques, as well as considering the limitations and potential errors of the chosen projection method. They may also use multiple projections and compare the results to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any solutions to the Projection Continuity Problem?

While the Projection Continuity Problem cannot be completely eliminated, there are some solutions that can help mitigate its impact. These include using more advanced and accurate projection methods, carefully considering the limitations and errors of the chosen projection, and using multiple projections for comparison and validation.