Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Does drinking hot tea cool you

1. Jul 23, 2011 #1

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

i did a search in the forum and no posts on this..
    question- will drinking hot tea cool you down??
    ...it does have caffeine..if i remember correctly, caffeine opens your arteries ...it is a diuretic...
    is there any emperical data or does anyone have any knowledge of lab experiments?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2011 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I know you're an engineer, but ya know, we do have other forums here.....

[moving to medical sciences]

4. Jul 23, 2011 #3

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

thanks Russ..thats why you are a mentor!!

5. Jul 25, 2011 #4

Ryan_m_b

Obviously a hot drink will raise your body temperature simply through the intake of fluids of a higher temperature than that of the body. The caffeine in tea is rather low dose however there may be some effect as both caffeine induces sweating and increases metabolic rate. This paper deals with some of the effects that caffeine has on exercise and outlines some modes of action. Personally I would be of the opinion that there will not be that much of an effect and the majority of the effect that does happen is simply due to drinking a hot drink will raise your temperature due to it's temperature.

Increases in perspiration and metabolism will be dealt with shortly like any alteration in homeostasis.

6. Jul 26, 2011 #5
    Although tea has a caffeine that opens up your arteries, how can you think that it can cool your body? How can a hot drink can cool your body?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2011
  7. Jul 26, 2011 #6

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

alenp
    that is the question that I ask. Has there been any studies, or specific measurement to validate or dismiss this question?
    is there any data to support or refute this question...i have no thoughts one way or the other..hence..my post..

8. Jul 26, 2011 #7

Ryan_m_b

It could be possible if the drink contained an http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipyretic" [Broken]. IIRC some Chinese herbal teas are used to treat fever because they do contain drugs of this nature though I would question whether or not this was an unsubstantiated alternative medicine claim. So it's not a bad question, there is some merit to it.

EDIT: Just remembered that the over-the-counter medicine Lemsip can be administered as a hot drink but also contains an antipyretic intended to reduce fever.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  9. Jul 26, 2011 #8

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

thanks for the help...Ryan MB
    good insight

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook