1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does electron oscillate in vaccum?

1. May 23, 2010 #1
    does electron oscillate when its kept in space with no type of field or anything present .... and what does electric wave represent ? does it represent the type of motion a test charge will execute .

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi DeveshB ! Welcome to PF! :wink:
    No such thing as an electric wave.

(And an electromagnetic wave involves photons (light), not electrons.)
    hmm … there's something called "zitterbewegung" which I never go the hang of :redface: … I suggest you wiki or google it. :smile:

4. May 23, 2010 #3
    sorry, i was talking about one of the components of electromagnetic waves--the electric field which is in the form of a wave, and as electric field is represented by 'electric lines of force' does it mean a test charge kept there would move in wave form? , as electric lines of force also represent the path traced by a test charge.

5. May 24, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

oh i see now …

yes, an electron in an electromagnetic field will experience continuously changing electric and magnetic fields (you can't separate the electric field out), and although the average effect should be zero, the electron will jiggle about very slightly on a very small time-scale. :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook