Does EPR represent Einstein's views very well?

• Thread starter box
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Epr
In summary, the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy seems to say that the idea for the EPR thought experiment came from Podolsky, not Einstein.
box
The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy seems to say it dosn't. I took this quote from there website

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qt-epr/

"Whatever their precursors, the ideas that found their way into EPR were worked out in a series of meetings with Einstein and
his two assistants, Podolsky and Rosen. The actual text, however, was written by Podolsky and, apparently, Einstein did not
see the final draft (certainly he did not inspect it) before Podolsky submitted the paper to Physical Review in March of 1935,
where it was accepted for publication without changes. Right after it was published Einstein complained that his central
concerns were obscured by the overly technical nature of Podolsky's development of the argument.

For reasons of language this [paper] was written by Podolsky after several discussions. Still, it did not come out as well as
I had originally wanted; rather, the essential thing was, so to speak, smothered by the formalism [Gelehrsamkeit].
(Letter from Einstein to Erwin Schrödinger, June 19, 1935. In Fine 1996, p. 35.)"

Here is an essay by Einstein that probably describes his views better

http://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/ge/einstein.htm

Physics news on Phys.org
Einstein very motivation in designing the EPR thought experiment was to show that Quantum Mechanics couldn't possibly be right or complete in its conception at the time. Low and behold it was eventually tested directly in the Aspect experiment.

my_wan said:
Einstein very motivation in designing the EPR thought experiment was to show that Quantum Mechanics couldn't possibly be right or complete in its conception at the time. Low and behold it was eventually tested directly in the Aspect experiment.

I don't think so

By far the best reference I know addressing this question is:

Don Howard, "Einstein on locality and separability", Studies in the History and Philosophy of Science, vol 16, page 171 (1985). This paper is really great - for instance, he analyses Einstein's concerns with non-separability pre the Schroedinger equation! (he realized that Bose-Einstein statistics were going to
conflict with classical notions of seperaility). And there's much more...

Arthur Fine also talks about this in "The Shaky Game" IIRC.

I read that the actual idea that is the basis of EPR is believed to have come from Podolsky.

caribou said:
I read that the actual idea that is the basis of EPR is believed to have come from Podolsky.
Actually, the idea that is the basis of EPR was all Einstein's. He'd been making the same point since at least the 1927 Solvay Conference. Podolsky's rather unfortunate role was as the author of the EPR paper -- unfortunate because (at least according to Einstein) Podolsky botched the job somewhat and didn't get the real essence of Einstein's ideas/worries across clearly in the paper. The references mentioned earlier (Don Howard and Arthur Fine) discuss this in some detail. Another good reference (available online) is
http://www.arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0404016

What I read is that while Einstein had proposed many ideal experiments before focused on finding inconsistencies, it was the new ideal experiment of the EPR paper focused on completeness which is believed to be probably due to Podolsky. I mention this to be a bit clearer about precisely what I read. It was in The Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics by Roland Omnes that I read this.

It might be fair enough that Podolsky wrote up the paper the way he wanted if the actual idea the EPR paper itself was about was his.

Last edited:

What is EPR and its relation to Einstein's views?

EPR stands for Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen, which is a thought experiment proposed by Albert Einstein, Boris Podolsky, and Nathan Rosen in 1935. It was meant to challenge the validity of quantum mechanics and its relation to Einstein's theory of relativity.

How does EPR represent Einstein's views?

EPR argues that quantum mechanics is incomplete and there must be "hidden variables" that determine the outcome of experiments. This idea is in line with Einstein's deterministic view of the universe, where everything can be predicted with certainty.

Did Einstein support EPR?

Yes, Einstein was one of the co-authors of the EPR paper and he strongly believed in its implications. He used the phrase "spooky action at a distance" to describe the concept of entanglement, which is a key aspect of EPR.

Has EPR been proven to be correct?

No, EPR has not been proven to be correct. In fact, it has been disproven by several experiments, including the Bell test experiments. These experiments have shown that quantum mechanics is a more accurate description of the universe than classical physics.

Why is EPR still relevant today?

Although EPR has been disproven, it sparked important discussions and debates about the nature of reality and the limitations of quantum mechanics. It also led to the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing, which have practical applications in today's world.