Does it Also Cover [0,1]?

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
In summary: Sorry about the noise!Oh, OK: I mis-read the problem specification and made the intervals ##I_k## rational, but that was not part of the original problem statement. Sorry about the noise!In summary, the conversation discusses a conjecture about open covers of the set of rational numbers in the interval [0,1]. One person believes that if the open cover covers the rationals, then it must also cover the entire interval, but another person points out a counterexample. This leads to a discussion about the original problem and different approaches to solving it. It is eventually determined that the initial conjecture is not true, as there are open covers that cover the rationals but not the entire interval.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Let ##B## be the set of rational numbers in the interval ##[0,1]##, and let ##\{I_k\}_{k=1}^n## be a open cover of ##B##. Prove that ##\sum_{k=1}^n m^*(I_k) \ge 1##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the course of solving this problem, I conjectured that if ##\{I_k\}_{k=1}^n## covers ##B##, then surely it must cover ##[0,1]##. After a few attempts at proving this conjecture, it suddenly it occurred to me that taking the closure of ##B##, and using the fact that ##m^*(\overline{I_k}) = m^*(I_k)##, would knock of this problem, and so I solved it this way. However, it still leaves me wondering whether my conjecture is true. I could use a hint on how to prove it. Obviously ##\bigcup I_{k}## must contain some irrational numbers, since each ##I_k = (a_k,b_k)## contains infinitely many rationals and irrationals between the endpoints.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Let ##B## be the set of rational numbers in the interval ##[0,1]##, and let ##\{I_k\}_{k=1}^n## be a open cover of ##B##. Prove that ##\sum_{k=1}^n m^*(I_k) \ge 1##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the course of solving this problem, I conjectured that if ##\{I_k\}_{k=1}^n## covers ##B##, then surely it must cover ##[0,1]##. After a few attempts at proving this conjecture, it suddenly it occurred to me that taking the closure of ##B##, and using the fact that ##m^*(\overline{I_k}) = m^*(I_k)##, would knock of this problem, and so I solved it this way. However, it still leaves me wondering whether my conjecture is true. I could use a hint on how to prove it. Obviously ##\bigcup I_{k}## must contain some irrational numbers, since each ##I_k = (a_k,b_k)## contains infinitely many rationals and irrationals between the endpoints.

Your conjecture is not true. The rationals are countable so let ##\{r_k\}## be an enumeration. Then let ##I_k## be the ball around ##r_k## of radius ##1/2^{k+2}##. What's the total length?

Dick said:
Your conjecture is not true. The rationals are countable so let ##\{r_k\}## be an enumeration. Then let ##I_k## be the ball around ##r_k## of radius ##1/2^{k+2}##. What's the total length?
What's the finite subcover?

fresh_42 said:
What's the finite subcover?

Why should there be a finite subcover? ##B## isn't compact.

Dick said:
Why should there be a finite subcover? ##B## isn't compact.
Yes, but there are only ##n## sets ##I_k## allowed to cover ##B##.

fresh_42 said:
Yes, but there are only ##n## sets ##I_k## allowed to cover ##B##.

Right. My reading is sloppy. But still Bashyboy's conjecture isn't true. If it's an open cover, you can certainly leave out some isolated irrationals.

Dick said:
Right. My reading is sloppy. But still Bashyboy's conjecture isn't true. If it's an open cover, you can certainly leave out some isolated irrationals.
I'm not convinced, that this will be sufficient. What should an isolated irrational be? ##B## is dense in ##[0,1]##.
I cannot see a flaw in @Bashyboy's argument, as ##[0,1]=\overline{B}\subseteq \overline{\cup I}= \cup\overline{I}## and we get ##1 \leq m^*(\cup \overline{I}) \leq \sum m^*(\overline{I}) = \sum m^*(I)##.

fresh_42 said:
I'm not convinced, that this will be sufficient. What should an isolated irrational be? ##B## is dense in ##[0,1]##.
I cannot see a flaw in @Bashyboy's argument, as ##[0,1]=\overline{B}\subseteq \overline{\cup I}= \cup\overline{I}## and we get ##1 \leq m^*(\cup \overline{I}) \leq \sum m^*(\overline{I}) = \sum m^*(I)##.

There's nothing wrong with that argument. The conjecture was that if the ##I_k## cover the rationals in ##[0,1]##, then they cover the whole interval. That's the part that's false.

Dick said:
There's nothing wrong with that argument. The conjecture was that if the ##I_k## cover the rationals in ##[0,1]##, then they cover the whole interval. That's the part that's false.

I don't see why.

Let ##x \in (0,1)## be an irrational, and let ##\{ q_k \}]## be a sequence of rationals in ##[0,1]## that converges to ##x##. There are intervals ##\{ I(q_k)\} \subset B## that cover the ##q_k##, but since the cover ##B## is finite, there is some single ##I \in B## that covers all ##q_k## for ##k > K## (##K## finite). In other words, we have some interval ##I = (a,b) \in B## with rational endpoints such that ##a < q_k < b## for all ##k > K##. Therefore, the limit ##x## lies in ##(a,b)## also. (We have that ##x \in [a,b]##, but ##x## cannot equal ##a## or ##b## because these are rational while ##x## is not.)

Ray Vickson said:
I don't see why.

Let ##x \in (0,1)## be an irrational, and let ##\{ q_k \}]## be a sequence of rationals in ##[0,1]## that converges to ##x##. There are intervals ##\{ I(q_k)\} \subset B## that cover the ##q_k##, but since the cover ##B## is finite, there is some single ##I \in B## that covers all ##q_k## for ##k > K## (##K## finite). In other words, we have some interval ##I = (a,b) \in B## with rational endpoints such that ##a < q_k < b## for all ##k > K##. Therefore, the limit ##x## lies in ##(a,b)## also. (We have that ##x \in [a,b]##, but ##x## cannot equal ##a## or ##b## because these are rational while ##x## is not.)

Doesn't ##\{(-1,x), (x,2)\}## cover all the rationals but not the irrational ##x##?

Dick said:
Doesn't ##\{(-1,x), (x,2)\}## cover all the rationals but not the irrational ##x##?

Oh, OK: I mis-read the problem specification and made the intervals ##I_k## rational, but that was not part of the original problem statement.

1. What is the meaning of "Does it Also Cover [0,1]?"

The phrase "Does it Also Cover [0,1]?" typically refers to whether a certain theory, model, or equation can accurately describe or account for values within the range of 0 to 1. This range is often used in probability and statistics, and the question is asking if the theory or model can apply to this specific range.

2. Why is it important to know if something covers [0,1]?

Understanding whether a theory or model covers the range of [0,1] is important because it allows for more accurate and comprehensive analysis and predictions. Many real-world phenomena and data fall within this range, and if a theory or model does not cover it, the results may not be reliable or applicable.

3. Does every theory or model need to cover [0,1]?

No, not every theory or model needs to cover the range of [0,1]. Depending on the variables and factors being studied, some theories or models may only be relevant for certain ranges or values. However, for theories and models in fields such as probability and statistics, it is often important for them to cover [0,1] in order to accurately represent and analyze data.

4. How can I determine if a theory or model covers [0,1]?

The best way to determine if a theory or model covers the range of [0,1] is to consult the original research or literature where it was developed. The creators of the theory or model should explicitly state whether it applies to values within this range. Additionally, you can test the theory or model on data within the range of [0,1] to see if it produces accurate results.

5. Can a theory or model cover [0,1] and other ranges as well?

Yes, a theory or model can cover the range of [0,1] and also cover other ranges. In fact, many theories and models are designed to be applicable to a wide range of values and variables. However, it is important to note that not all theories and models are able to accurately represent or analyze data within every possible range, so it is important to understand the limitations and scope of a particular theory or model.