Does it work this way (intro electrodynamics)?

In summary, the goal is to find the charge distribution on a conducting sphere when a non-neutral charged sphere is submitted to an electric field. I'm having trouble figuring out how to include the added charge in the problem and I'm not sure what b and Q_b represent.
monkeykoder

Homework Statement

Have a permanently (uniformly not radially) polarized sphere surrounded by a charged conductor
How is the charge on the conductor distributed (the added charge)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the conductor cancels the field generated by the polarized sphere I'm thinking the added charge should distribute uniformly over the surface of the conductor is there any reason it shouldn't?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the electric field produced by the polarized sphere going to be uniform over the spherical surface of the conductor? If not, why would you think that the charge distribution would be?

My reasoning (probably flawed) is that the field due to the polarized sphere is taken care of through polarization of the conductor then the added charge should be free of the field.

Definitely flawed. The polarized sphere produces some non-radial electric field. That electric field will push the free charges in the conductor around until they reach an arrangement that cancels the field. You should know that a uniform distribution of charge on a spherical surface produces an electric field that is radial...how can a radial electric field cancel a non-radial one?

Instead of guessing at the answer, try applying some of the methods and equations you've covered in your course.

I've calculated the charge distribution due to the polarized sphere I can't figure out how to work in the charge that has been placed on the conducting shell.

So assuming no charge on the conducting sphere [tex]\sigma = \frac{3Q_{b}cos(\theta)}_{\pi b^{3}}[/tex]

I can't find a way to include the added charge other than assuming that it distributes free of the field.

Last edited:
What are [itex]b[/itex] and [itex]Q_b[/itex] supposed to represent? What is the entire original problem?

b is the radius of the outer sphere [tex]Q_b[/tex] is the bound charge on the inner polarized sphere.

Again, what is the entire original problem statement?

Polarized sphere radius a conducting shell radius b. How will the added charge Q distribute over the shell. Just looking for a conceptual jump to solve.

Specifically a non-neutral conductor charged to a value Q is submitted to an electric field how do I calculate how the additional charge is distributed.

That really does not sound like a complete problem statement to me. There is a reason why the homework template tells you to include "all variables and given/known data". Are you given the polarization? Are you told the net charge on the conductor? Are the spheres concentric?

Problem I'm having is I'm trying to ask a question that helps me with a test problem I have without getting help on the test problem itself.

monkeykoder said:
Problem I'm having is I'm trying to ask a question that helps me with a test problem I have without getting help on the test problem itself.

Well, the general method is to solve Laplace's equation (Poisson's equation in regions where the charge density is non-zero) subject to the boundary conditions of your problem. And then find the surface charge density from the potential.

That being said, the idea of a take home exam (which I gather this is for) is to test your knowledge of the material and your mastery of the problem solving methods you have learned. You really should not be seeking help for an exam when you are not permitted to do so.

That's why I'm having trouble asking a question in such a way as to not have the test question answered for me but to get a better grasp on the conceptual idea. I have the idea figured out now I'm pretty sure so I'll get on with it now. I'm sorry for posting this in the homework help section but I couldn't figure out how to get the conceptual part without a problem to work through.

Related to Does it work this way (intro electrodynamics)?

1. What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric fields are created by stationary electric charges, while magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges. Electric fields exert a force on other stationary charges, while magnetic fields exert a force on moving charges.

2. How do electric and magnetic fields interact with each other?

Electric and magnetic fields are closely related and can interact with each other. When an electric charge moves, it creates a magnetic field. Similarly, when a magnetic field changes, it can create an electric field. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction.

3. What is the role of Maxwell's equations in understanding electrodynamics?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. These equations help to explain the relationship between electric and magnetic fields and how they can interact with each other. They are essential in understanding the fundamentals of electrodynamics.

4. How does the speed of light relate to electrodynamics?

In electrodynamics, the speed of light is a fundamental constant that plays a crucial role in the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. It is the maximum speed at which electromagnetic waves can travel in a vacuum and is a result of the interaction between electric and magnetic fields.

5. Can electrodynamics be applied to real-world applications?

Yes, electrodynamics has numerous practical applications in our daily lives. It is the foundation of modern technology, including electricity, telecommunications, and electronics. It is also used in various fields such as engineering, medicine, and astronomy.