Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does music sound better at night?

1. Jan 24, 2004 #1
    I think it does. I think music sounds clearer, revealing more details at night.

Most people agree with me citing the following as possible reasons why music sound better at night:

1. The ambient noise level is lower than that of daytime;

2. With seeing gets harder at night, the sense of hearing is heightened.

Do you think there are other reasons why music sounds better at night? For instance, certain attributes of air which affect our sense of hearing may change at night. What do you think?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2004 #2
    Well, i sometimes find that I can hear stuff better with the lights off, but my theory that the light interferes with the air somehow probably isn't 100% true :wink:
  4. Jan 25, 2004 #3
    at night the air is colder than the day for obvious reasons, so therefore creating a denser medium therefore the sound is able to propergate more 'freely' / faster = better sound quality
  5. Jan 25, 2004 #4
    Eine Kleine Nachtmusik

A Little Night Music (A little Serenade)

Main Entry: 1ser·e·nade
    Pronunciation: "ser-&-'nAd
    Function: noun

Etymology: French sérénade, from Italian serenata, from sereno clear, calm (of weather), from Latin serenus serene

1 a : a complimentary vocal or instrumental performance; especially : one given outdoors at night for a woman being courted b : a work so performed

2 : an instrumental composition in several movements, written for a small ensemble, and midway between the suite and the symphony in style

"Eine Kleine Nachtmusik is the last and most famous of Mozart's serenades. Why he wrote it, no one knows for certain. The manuscript bears only the date of completion, August 10, 1787, which means he was in the midst of Don Giovanni. Perhaps it is not meant for any particular occasion; parhaps he wanted to distill with strings the quintessence of nocturnal music-making..."

-From the dust jacket of a 1964 RCA LP recording.__
  6. Jan 29, 2004 #5
    "sound" is just pressure waves on our ears.

and we can only hear (feel) one pressure wave at a time.

so if 2 things are making 2 differnt noises, we can only hear the combined sound.

dueing the day there are 1000's of things making a noise. so what we hear is music + 1000's of other sounds.

pressure waves in an exsorst/muffler of a car work by making extra pressure waves of an opersite level. 1 pressure wave which is the esact opersite as another will balence out the sound, meaning zero sound. all these pressure waves from these 1000's of other things change what is being played to what we hear.

at night, when most of these stop (cars, tv, general hub-ub of city life), mean we are now only hearing the pressure waves from the music.

its also why a TV on at night needs to be at a less volume to be at a comptable level. because all the background pressure waves arnt having a "muffling" effect. the sound is more pure.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?