Does ω^2 Equal v^2/r^2 or (v/r)^2 in Angular Velocity Calculations?

• Thread starter acat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Break
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between angular velocity (ω), linear velocity (v), and radius (r). It is confirmed that ω=v/r and that ω^2 is equal to both v^2/r^2 and (v/r)^2. The person is struggling to solve a problem and is seeking clarification on the equations. Ultimately, it is concluded that the equations are the same.
acat
ok, if angual velocity ω = linear velocity v / radius r

therefore ω=v/r

but what if i have ω^2 ( to the power of 2 )

does ω^2=v^2/r^2

or does it eqaul ω^2=(v/r)^2

many thanks, this is really bugging me and preventing me solve a problem since I am not in class

Mathematics news on Phys.org

it's same. moreover, if you are getting confused check it dimensionally.

of course of course, thank you, gawd this is a hard problem I am working on, just making sure all the particulars are in the right place and where they should be as I am not managing to solve this at all, ill carry on though lol. thanks dude

acat said:
ok, if angual velocity ω = linear velocity v / radius r

therefore ω=v/r

but what if i have ω^2 ( to the power of 2 )

does ω^2=v^2/r^2

or does it eqaul ω^2=(v/r)^2

many thanks, this is really bugging me and preventing me solve a problem since I am not in class

They are the same.

Also this has nothing to do with "Linear and Abstract Algebra" so I am moving it to "General Math".

Related to Does ω^2 Equal v^2/r^2 or (v/r)^2 in Angular Velocity Calculations?

1. What is an equation and how is it solved?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities. To solve an equation, you need to find the value of the variable that makes the equation true.

2. What does the symbol ω^2 represent in this equation?

The symbol ω^2 represents the angular acceleration in radians per second squared. It measures how quickly the angular velocity is changing.

3. What does v represent in this equation?

v represents the tangential velocity in meters per second. It is the speed at which an object is moving along a circular path.

4. What does r represent in this equation?

r represents the radius of the circular path in meters. It is the distance from the center of the circle to the outer edge.

5. How do I solve for ω^2, v, or r in this equation?

To solve for ω^2, v, or r, you can rearrange the equation to isolate the variable you are looking for. You can also use algebraic methods, such as substitution or elimination, to solve the equation.