Does Polarization Cause Discontinuous EM Waves?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of polarization and its effects on electromagnetic waves. It raises the question of whether a circularly polarized wave will remain continuous after passing through a linear polarizer. The summary also includes a related scenario involving a rope and a door jam, and the potential outcomes of sending different types of polarized waves through the gap. The experts involved give explanations and additional insights on the topic.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I'd like to test my understanding of polarization, concept new to me. I except that the answer to my following question is "no", but I'm not sure and I don't know why it would be so.
If I see a circularly (left of right, it doesn't matter) polarized EM wave going to my eyes and I put a polaroid in front of my eyes such that it polarizes linearly the light. Will the EM wave getting on my retina be a continuous wave? I'd think that no since the polaroid would absorb most of the light and let only pass the wave when the electric and magnetic fields have a very particular direction. So only a small part of the incoming wave would pass through the polaroid, making a discontinuous wave. Is my reasoning erroneous? I guess that yes, but I need an explanation.
In other words, would my retina be constantly receiving some EM wave? I think that most of the time, no. Am I right?

Science news on Phys.org
Imagine a long rope or string, holding one end while the other is tied off. You can send linear polarised waves along it by shaking your end up and down. You can send circ. pol. waves by shaking the end in a circle. If the string passes through a narrow vertical gap, like a door jam, what kind of wave gets through the jam if you try sending a) circular b) vertical c) horizontal polarisations? (And does anything get reflected?)

fluidistic said:
If I see a circularly (left of right, it doesn't matter) polarized EM wave going to my eyes and I put a polaroid in front of my eyes such that it polarizes linearly the light. Will the EM wave getting on my retina be a continuous wave?

Circular polarization is the sum of two linear polarization states, each in quadrature to each other. So the field passing through a linear polarizer is one of the two states, which has a time-dependent amplitude and intensity [sin(wt) or sin^2(wt)]. This is not a discontinuous wave, tho.

Thanks both for helping,
cesiumfrog said:
Imagine a long rope or string, holding one end while the other is tied off. You can send linear polarised waves along it by shaking your end up and down. You can send circ. pol. waves by shaking the end in a circle. If the string passes through a narrow vertical gap, like a door jam, what kind of wave gets through the jam if you try sending a) circular b) vertical c) horizontal polarisations? (And does anything get reflected?)
I have a language difficulty, I tried google translator and wikipedia, but I can't figure out what a door jam is and I have a vague idea about what a vertical gap is.
So I can't really answer, but my intuition tells me that b passes, c doesn't and I'm not sure what happens with a.

Andy Resnick said:
Circular polarization is the sum of two linear polarization states, each in quadrature to each other. So the field passing through a linear polarizer is one of the two states, which has a time-dependent amplitude and intensity [sin(wt) or sin^2(wt)]. This is not a discontinuous wave, tho.

I see. I'd have to read more about it, I can't picture in my head what's going on.

I can confirm that polarization does not cause discontinuous EM waves. Polarization refers to the orientation of the electric and magnetic fields of an EM wave, and it does not affect the continuity of the wave itself. Even when light is polarized, it still behaves as a continuous wave with a specific frequency and wavelength.

In the scenario you described, the polaroid filter would indeed absorb most of the light passing through it, allowing only a small portion of the circularly polarized wave to pass through. However, this does not mean that the wave becomes discontinuous. The remaining portion of the wave still has a continuous oscillation of the electric and magnetic fields, just in a specific direction determined by the orientation of the polaroid.

Therefore, your retina would still receive a continuous wave, just with a specific polarization. The amount of light that reaches your retina may be reduced, but it does not affect the continuity of the wave.

It is important to note that polarization only affects the orientation of the wave, not its continuity. So even if you change the polarization of the wave using a polaroid filter, it will still be a continuous wave.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify your understanding of polarization and its effects on EM waves.

Related to Does Polarization Cause Discontinuous EM Waves?

1. What is polarization?

Polarization refers to the orientation of waves or particles in a specific direction. In the context of light, it describes the alignment of the electromagnetic waves in a specific direction.

2. How do we measure polarization?

Polarization can be measured using a polarimeter, which measures the angle and intensity of the polarized light. Another method is using a polarizing filter, which only allows light waves in a specific direction to pass through.

3. What causes polarization?

Polarization can be caused by a variety of factors, such as reflection, refraction, scattering, and absorption of light. In some cases, it can also be induced by passing light through certain materials or using special filters.

4. What are the applications of polarization?

Polarization has various applications in the fields of optics, telecommunications, and microscopy. It is also used in 3D glasses, LCD screens, and polarizing sunglasses. In addition, it is crucial in understanding the behavior of light in different environments.

5. How does polarization affect the color of light?

Polarization does not directly affect the color of light, but it can influence how we perceive color. For example, polarized light can reduce glare and improve contrast, making colors appear more vibrant and distinct. In some cases, it can also change the perceived color of an object by altering the angle and orientation of light waves.