What is the Convergence of |Sin(n)|?

• Thread starter Bacle
  • Start date
In summary, the set of absolute values of sine of positive integers, {|sin(n)|} with n=1,2,... and standard absolute value, is not convergent and is dense on the interval [0,1]. This is shown through the use of the equidistribution theorem and the Lindemann-Weierstrass theorem, which states that any rational polynomial with integer coefficients evaluated at a transcendental number is transcendental. Therefore, the sequence {|sin(n)|} contains only transcendental numbers and no irrationals. Additionally, the formula for sin(n) can be written in terms of sin(1) and cos(1), making it a subset of the field extension Q(sin(1), cos(1)).
Bacle
Hi, All:

I am trying to see if a_n:={|Sin(n)|}, with n=1,2,... and | . | standard absolute value,
is convergent. I know the set {k.pi}, k=1,2,... is dense in [0,1] (pi is equidistributed mod1) , and we have that Sin(n)=Sin(n+pi), but it seems like {|Sinn|} is dense in [0,1], so that it cannot have a limit (i.e., a unique limit point). Any Ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it doesn't converge. From the equidistribution theorem, a result very similar to the one you quoted holds: {k/(2pi) mod 1} is dense in [0, 1]. Scaling everything up by 2pi, {k mod 2pi} is dense in [0, 2pi]. Now 0 and pi/2 are both limit points of this set, so they're approached by convergent sequences s1 and s2 respectively. But then the limit of |sin(an)| on these two sequences is |sin(0)|=0 and |sin(pi/2)|=1 respectively, from continuity. The lim sup and lim inf are then unequal, so the original sequence doesn't converge. This same reasoning does show that {|sin(n)|} is dense on [0, 1].

Thanks, Josh; a new question came to me:

Is there a way of determining any actual value assumed by {|sin(n)|}? Or, are we sure there are rationals or irrationals in the sequence? We can of course exclude {|sinx|: x irrational, and values like Sqr2/2 , as the image of Pi/4; do you know of any result, e.g.,
like with elements of the Cantor set and the base-3 representation (excluding, I think, strings with a 0 in them) about this set?

The only relevant result I'm aware of is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindemann%E2%80%93Weierstrass_theorem" (actually, Lindemann's half is sufficient) which says that e^a where a != 0 is any algebraic number is transcendental. [Briefly, an algebraic number is a root of some polynomial equation with integer coefficients. A transcendental number is not. Transcendental numbers are in particular irrational, since the root of ax - b is b/a.] It turns out that any rational polynomial with integer coefficients evaluated at a transcendental number gives a transcendental result. I don't know a name for this result. The only proof I've seen is my own, since it was an exercise in a Galois theory book of mine.

In any case, if n is a positive integer, ni is algebraic [(x - ni)(x + ni) = x^2 + n^2], so e^(ni) is transcendental, so

(e^(in))^2 - 1)/(e^(in))
= e^(in) - e^(-in)

is transcendental, so

1/(2i) (e^(in) - e^(-in))
= sin(n)

is transcendental, so |sin(n)| is transcendental. This immediately rules out eg. sqrt(2)/2, since this is obviously algebraic. An arbitrary finite nesting of radicals is also ruled out: sqrt(2 + sqrt(2))/2 is never hit, for instance.

To be clear the sequence {|sin(n)|} where n is a positive integer is composed only of transcendental numbers, so contains no irrationals. You can actually use the formula listed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o....2C_cosine.2C_and_tangent_of_multiple_angles" to write sin(n) in terms of sin(1), cos(1) = sqrt(1 - sin^2(1)), and positive exponents of these two. That is, sin(n) is in the field extension Q(sin(1), cos(1)).

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent; very helpful, Josh. Thanks.

1. What is the definition of convergence in mathematics?

Convergence in mathematics refers to the property of a sequence or a series to approach a specific value as the number of terms increases. In simpler terms, it means that the terms of a sequence or series become closer and closer to a certain value as the sequence or series progresses.

2. How is the convergence of a sequence or series determined?

The convergence of a sequence or series is determined by taking the limit of the terms as the number of terms approaches infinity. If the limit exists and is a finite value, then the sequence or series is said to converge. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, then the sequence or series diverges.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series that converges regardless of the order of terms, while conditional convergence refers to a series that only converges if the terms are arranged in a specific order. For example, the alternating series (-1)^n/n converges conditionally, but if the terms are rearranged, it can diverge.

4. Can a series converge absolutely but not conditionally?

No, if a series converges absolutely, it will also converge conditionally. This is because absolute convergence implies that the series is convergent regardless of the order of terms, which means it will also converge when the terms are arranged in a specific order.

5. How does the alternating nature of the sine function affect the convergence of |Sin(n)|?

The alternating nature of the sine function does not affect the convergence of |Sin(n)|. This is because the absolute value function eliminates the negative sign, making the series behave as if it were a positive series. Therefore, the convergence of |Sin(n)| is determined by the behavior of the positive series |n|, which diverges as n approaches infinity.