Does Spin Affect Gravity at the Particle Level?

In summary, there is no significant gravitational effect on a floor waxer due to its rotation. While there is a small gravitational effect in General Relativity caused by rotating bodies, it is currently being studied and is not large enough to have a noticeable effect on a floor waxer. Additionally, there is no counterpart to macroscopic gyroscopic effects at the molecular level, as molecules are not constrained in the same way as a gyroscope.
gonegahgah
I would like to get your feedback, thoughts and answers if I may?

If it were that the particles - re electron and nucleus - are spinning then will this have an effect on the apparent gravity?

I reflect upon industrial floor waxers and gyroscopes.

A gyroscope will appear to defy gravity by hanging out sideways without falling. If you try to get it to hang out sideways when it is not spinning it will fall as you would expect.

Also an industrial floor waxer needs to be pushed sideways to go forwards and if you push it forwards it will go sideways.

If particles spin then will they do the same for gravitational effect?

I raise the question asking that if the spinning particles that comprise our world (if they are spinning) then whether this would decrease the apparent gravitational effect that we feel? Do we feel less gravitation then actually resides in the particles were they not spinning?

I look at the example that if you hold a piece of metal at the exact point between two magnets then you can get it to remain stationery despite both magnets 'pulling' upon it.

In an approximately similar fashion, could it be that the spinning particles which are spinning at different orientations be serving to divert gravitational 'pull' from totally being down and converting it to other directions that often as not oppose each other and cancel each other other in terms of gravitational effect? ie If you get attracted both ways you go nowhere.

I don't think current science considers particle movement and its possible affect upon gravitational direction so I am asking people here what they think please?

(Sorry the topic should be: Does Particle Spin Affect Gravity?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no sort of gravitational effect on a floor waxer due to its rotation. Floor waxers can be handled quite adaquately by Newtonian mechanics.

There is an extremely tiny gravitational effect in General relativity, called the Lense Thirring effect, which is caused by massive rotating bodies. This is currently being studied by gravity probe B. It is an effect so small that even with the entire Earth being the "gyroscope", it is barely measurable with the most precise gyroscopes we can make with modern technology.

And you are not going to turn a floor-waxer into a flying saucer, if that's what your last question means.

You say the effect is extremely tiny but is that generally the case?

If something is spinning extremely fast the effect will be larger and do we really understand the limit since as I understand it we can only calculate it by using the weak field approximation since no exact GR calculation has been developed or might at all be possible.

It's possible to calculate the effect in the strong field if the problem warrants it. No problem that arises in the solar system will need anything better than the weak field approximation, though.

As far as the magnitude of the effect goes, ask again when the GPB results are in. I do seem to recall that there are some experimental measurements that were discussed a while ago, though, which were consistent with GR.

Meanwhile, let's try and stick to the facts and avoid "overly speculative posts", as the PF guidelines suggest.

Here are some references that I was trying to think of about the existing measurements of the Lense-Thiring effect, using the Lageos satellite orbits:

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingatearth/earth_drag.html
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0101030

It appears that at least one existing measurement already rules out extremely large magnitude effects. While some degree of caution is needed about making definte statements based on only one experiment, current data supports GR and does not support any large, unexplained effects due to spin at this time. We'll have even better results when the GP-B experimental results are analyzed, which is already underway.

Hi Pervect

Sorry but I think you have misunderstood me. I'm not trying to lead into any idea of floor waxers being turned into flying saucers. I am not trying to be "overly speculative". I was simply asking within what science tells us these days whether a + b possibly means c.

I am not trying to intrude upon your Gravity Probe B experiment. I am simply asking people here a question based upon some things that we observe separately in science and asking them to tell me what they think about this at a particle level based upon what they know about these things. I would like to know what they think in relation to what they know.

Am I not allowed to ask about particles and gravity in the same question?

gonegahgah said:
A gyroscope will appear to defy gravity by hanging out sideways without falling. If you try to get it to hang out sideways when it is not spinning it will fall as you would expect.

It's not fruitful to think of gyroscopic effect as appearing to defy gravity. The part of the gyroscope setup that supports the weight is supporting the full weight of the gyroscope.

You ask about molecular effects. Are there molecular effects that are the counterpart of macroscopic effects? To my knowledge: no. Molecules do spin of course, but to get gyroscopic effects the rotor must be constrained in particular ways.

In the case of a gyroscope there is a housing and one axis of the rotor has a fixed orientation with respect to the housing. In other words, a gyroscope setup (housing and rotor) has bearings. You can grip the housing and exert a torque, which will elicit a response.

Such opportunitiy to exert a torque upon the spinning object is not there in molecular motion. Therefore no opportunity to elicit the kind of gyroscopic effect that we know from gyroscopes.

Last edited:

1. How does spin affect gravity at the particle level?

The concept of spin in particle physics refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of elementary particles, which is a fundamental property of particles. According to the theory of general relativity, the presence of mass and energy causes a distortion in the fabric of space-time, which we experience as gravitational force. The spin of a particle does not directly affect this distortion, but it does play a role in the behavior of particles in strong gravitational fields.

2. Can spin change the strength of gravity between particles?

No, the strength of gravity between particles is solely determined by their masses and the distance between them. The spin of a particle does not affect this gravitational force.

3. How does spin affect the behavior of particles in a strong gravitational field?

In a strong gravitational field, the spin of a particle can affect its trajectory and how it interacts with other particles. For example, in the vicinity of a black hole, the spin of a particle can influence whether it falls into the black hole or is ejected from the system.

4. Is there a relationship between spin and gravity in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the concept of spin is incorporated into the theory of quantum fields, which describes the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. In this framework, the fundamental forces, including gravity, are described by the exchange of particles called gauge bosons. The spin of these particles does play a role in the strength and behavior of these forces, but it does not directly affect the gravitational force between particles.

5. Are there any current theories that link spin and gravity at the particle level?

Currently, there are no established theories that directly link spin and gravity at the particle level. However, there are ongoing research efforts to develop a unified theory of quantum mechanics and general relativity, which would provide a complete understanding of the fundamental forces of nature, including gravity and spin.