Does such a function even exist?

In summary: But the boundary is a fractal with Hausdorff dimension 2, so it cannot be parameterized by a smooth function. In summary, the conversation discusses a function that is continuous everywhere and differentiable nowhere, known as the Weierstrass function. It is described as an infinitely small sawtooth and can be defined as f(x) = 1/x if x is rational and f(x) = 0 if x is irrational. However, it is not the only example of such a function and other examples, such as the Mandelbrot set, are mentioned. It is also discussed whether the boundary of the Mandelbrot set can be parametrized. Ultimately, it is concluded that the boundary cannot be
Izzhov
When my father was in college, one of his professors showed him a function that is continuous everywhere and differentiable nowhere. All my dad remembers is that the function was like an infinitely small sawtooth. If this function exists, how can it be defined?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think this function is continuous everywhere:

f(x) = 1/x if x is rational
f(x) = 0 if x is irrational

but differentiable no where

The function given by JonF is continuous on the irrationals, and discontinuous on the rationals. So it is not continuous everywhere.

Perhaps Izzhov would enjoy the text 'Counterexamples in Analysis".

OP: Try searching up fractals. The Weierstrass function is a good example, and somewhat the first one found.

The function given by JonF is continuous on the irrationals, and discontinuous on the rationals. So it is not continuous everywhere.

Doesn't look continuous anywhere.

jostpuur said:
Doesn't look continuous anywhere.

Indeed you are right.
However, the function:
[tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{q}, x=\frac{p}{q}, p,q\in\mathbb{N}[/tex]
and f(x) zero elsewhere IS continuous on the irrationals, but not on the rationals.

JonF, you might want to reconsider if 0 is a rational number >.<

Would this be a simpler example?

[tex]x_n=(x_{n-1})^2 + C[/tex]
[tex]x_0=C[/tex].

I think I saw something like this in the favorite equations thread, general math section.

In what sense is that a function?

I think he considers Mandelbrot set a "function" .
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandelbrot_set) .
:rofl: :rofl: :zzz:

It is a beautiful "monster" Gib_Z,but far from being function.

Last edited by a moderator:
O i know its not a function, but I thought it was continuous everywhere and differentiable nowhere, its a fractal right? I know very little about this area.

i know its not a function, but I thought it was continuous everywhere and differentiable nowhere
A continuous set? :rolleyes: I would guess, that you are talking about the boundary of the Mandelbrot set? It looks bad enough, that if you had a parametrisation for it, then it would not be differentiable. But at this point I must raise a different question: Is there parametrisation for boundary of Mandelbrot set? I have a feel that there's not, but I'm not sure.

I would imagine that if there was a smooth parameterization of the boundary then it would have to have Hausdorff dimension 1.

1. What is a function and how is it defined?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two sets of values, typically called the input and output, where each input value has exactly one corresponding output value. It is defined by an equation or rule that specifies how the input values are transformed into output values.

2. How do you know if a function exists?

A function exists if for every input value, there is exactly one output value. This can be determined by graphing the relationship between the input and output values or by using the vertical line test. If a vertical line intersects the graph of the relationship more than once, then it is not a function.

3. Can a function have multiple outputs for the same input?

No, a function cannot have multiple outputs for the same input. This would violate the definition of a function, which states that each input value must have exactly one corresponding output value.

4. What is the difference between a function and a relation?

A function is a type of relation, but not all relations are functions. A relation is any set of ordered pairs, while a function is a specific type of relation where each input value has exactly one output value. In other words, a function is a special type of relation that follows a specific rule or equation.

5. How can you tell if a graph represents a function?

A graph represents a function if it passes the vertical line test. This means that no vertical line can intersect the graph at more than one point. Additionally, a function can be represented by a table of values, where each input value has exactly one corresponding output value.