Does temperature affect the movement of electrons in a circuit?

In summary, temperature has a significant effect on the movement of electrons. At higher temperatures, the kinetic energy of free electrons increases, leading to a higher velocity and rate of current. This is due to the collisions between electrons and other particles, which transfer heat and increase the kinetic energy of the electrons. In a circuit, a higher external temperature will result in higher kinetic energy and velocity of electrons, causing an increase in temperature within the wire.
Googl
By knowledge I know that an electron moving through a wire will experience more resistance at high temperatures than average, this is due to the vibrating atoms in the conductor which keep obstructing the flow of current or charge carriers.

I have also been told that the rate of current or velocity of an electron is higher at high temperatures than at lower temperature.

My question is what effect does temperature have on a moving electron disregarding the behaviour of flowing current through a wire.

I hope I have made myself clear. If any of my sentences is wrong please correct me to understand.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Temperature is related to the kinetic energies of the particles it is measured from. Free electrons are some of those particles. So generally speaking, if the temperature is higher, free electrons will contain more kinetic energy.

What will be the cause of increase in kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the source of temperature!

To say "this material has a high temperature" is the same saying "the particles of this this material have a lot of kinetic energy"!

Look at the second equation here, T and kinetic E are related by a simple proportionality constant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature#Kinetic_theory_of_gases

It is the collisions that cause change in kinetic energy. Collisions with whatever (atoms, photon, phonons) brings over the heat.

That's clear. I am talking about external temperature. Suppose the room temperature is very high. Should one expect the kinetic energy of the electron within a circuit to be very high than if it was at low temperature. My question here is what will be the cause and what effect does temperature have on the electrons in this case?

I understand temperature in the wire will be high when the kinetic energy on the electrons is very high due to collision with other particles.

Related to Does temperature affect the movement of electrons in a circuit?

1. What is the relationship between electrons and temperature?

The relationship between electrons and temperature is that as temperature increases, the movement of electrons also increases. This increase in movement results in a higher rate of collisions between electrons, causing an increase in electrical resistance.

2. How does temperature affect the behavior of electrons in a material?

Temperature affects the behavior of electrons in a material by increasing their energy and causing them to move more quickly. This can lead to a decrease in the material's electrical resistance and an increase in its conductivity.

3. Can temperature affect the number of electrons in a material?

Yes, temperature can affect the number of electrons in a material. At higher temperatures, some electrons may gain enough energy to break free from their atoms and become free electrons, increasing the overall number of electrons in the material.

4. How does temperature impact the movement of electrons in a conductor?

Temperature impacts the movement of electrons in a conductor by increasing the collisions between electrons and atoms, which can impede their movement. This results in an increase in resistance and a decrease in the flow of current.

5. Is there a specific temperature at which electrons stop moving?

No, there is not a specific temperature at which electrons stop moving. Even at absolute zero (0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius), electrons still possess some energy and will continue to vibrate in place. However, their movement is significantly reduced at lower temperatures.