Does the 1 Second after the Big Bang = 1 second now?

When I read that conditions were such and such 1 to .05 seconds after the big bang, is that duration somehow longer than 1/2 second is now (maybe because of the difference in density or like the twin paradox?)?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Khashishi
Science Advisor
Do you mean one second after the Big Bang? There is no before the Big Bang.

Likes Pjpic
Do you mean one second after the Big Bang? There is no before the Big Bang.
sorry S/H/B "After"

berkeman
Mentor
sorry S/H/B "After"
I fixed your thread title for you. :smile:

Khashishi
Science Advisor
The duration of 1/2 second right after the big bang is the same as the duration of 1/2 second now.

The duration of 1/2 second right after the big bang is the same as the duration of 1/2 second now.
Cosmic rays decay at a different rate ( I think) but, from your answer, that is a different type of situation?

Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
2020 Award
I'm not sure your question is well posed.

It is true that two clocks that are synchronised, moved apart, and brought together again may no longer be synchronised. But how would you bring a clock from one second after the Big Bang together with one now in order to compare them? There's no meaningful way to do that, so I'm afraid that there's no physical way to ask your question, let alone answer it.

I'm not sure your question is well posed.

It is true that two clocks that are synchronised, moved apart, and brought together again may no longer be synchronised. But how would you bring a clock from one second after the Big Bang together with one now in order to compare them? There's no meaningful way to do that, so I'm afraid that there's no physical way to ask your question, let alone answer it.
I think I read time seems to almost stop in a black hole. So I was wondering if the same was true for the big bang and if when it is said something happens from .5 seconds to 1 second after the big bang what frame of reference that is in.

Nugatory
Mentor
I think I read time seems to almost stop in a black hole.
Either you misunderstood what you read or it's wrong. Unless you tell us what you read where, we have no way of knowing which it is.

PeterDonis
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
Cosmic rays decay at a different rate ( I think)
What makes you think that?

when it is said something happens from .5 seconds to 1 second after the big bang what frame of reference that is in.
It is in the standard coordinates used in cosmology. Time in these coordinates is the same as time elapsed on the clocks of "comoving" observers, i.e., observers who see the universe as homogeneous and isotropic.

Either you misunderstood what you read or it's wrong. Unless you tell us what you read where, we have no way of knowing which it is.
Pretty sure he's referring to time dilation from general relativity.

The fault in logic here is that from the perspective out an outside observer, time moves way slower close to a black hole. From the frame of reference of something already in the hole, time moves normally. You can't use the same logic when applying to the universe as a whole because we're in the same reference frame.