Does the Electric Field Change in Different Metals of a Circuit?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
maccha
Messages
49
Reaction score
0
So I'm learning about how applied electric field causes current in a wire.. I'm confused about one thing. If you have a wire connected to a battery.. and let's say for the first "half" of the circuit the wire is made of copper and the second half is the wire is made of gold... will the electric field be different in these two materials even if they have the same dimensions? Because that's the only way I can see the current staying the same.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. The current is the same, the resistance of the two pieces of wire are different, so both the voltage across them and the electric field inside them are different.

ehild