1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the limit converge or diverge

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    infinity
    Ʃ [itex]\frac{ln(n)}{n\sqrt{n}}[/itex]
    n=1

2. Relevant equations
    I think that I need to use either the limit comparison test or the ratio test.

3. The attempt at a solution

After listing all the terms I found out that the function was positive and decreasing, and that the terms approached 0. However when I used the limit comparison test or the root test I keep on getting an answer of infinity or 0, which is inconclusive. So I don't know how else to approach the problem. Is there something easy that I am overlooking. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Show us what you tried for the limit comparison test. I agree that the ratio test would not be conclusive.

4. Nov 6, 2011 #3
    I think the best test to use is the ratio test:

If there exists a constant C < 1 such that |an+1/an|<C for all sufficiently large n, then ∑an converges absolutely.

5. Nov 6, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you thought about the integral test?

6. Nov 6, 2011 #5
    for the limit comparison test I tried a bunch of different comparisons. I said as lim n-> infinity of

lim n→∞. of (ln(n)/(nsqrt(n))/(1/n^5/4).That didnt give me any help. Then I tried comparing it to 1/n^1/4. Then I tried comparing it to a bunch of other stuff but nothing seemed to work. I cant figure out what to do

7. Nov 6, 2011 #6
    Also I never thought about the integral test. I will try that

8. Nov 6, 2011 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@kuczmama: Don't use the X2 key inside tex brackets. Right click on this to see how to do exponents:

[tex]n^{\frac 3 2}[/tex]

9. Nov 6, 2011 #8
    I got that the integral converges to 4. I guess that this means the sum also converges. Thanks alot guys!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook