Does the limit converge or diverge

• Thread starter kuczmama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the function is positive and decreasing, but when the limit comparison test or the root test are used, infinity or 0 is obtained, which is inconclusive.
kuczmama

Homework Statement

infinity
Ʃ [itex]\frac{ln(n)}{n\sqrt{n}}[/itex]
n=1

Homework Equations

I think that I need to use either the limit comparison test or the ratio test.

The Attempt at a Solution

After listing all the terms I found out that the function was positive and decreasing, and that the terms approached 0. However when I used the limit comparison test or the root test I keep on getting an answer of infinity or 0, which is inconclusive. So I don't know how else to approach the problem. Is there something easy that I am overlooking. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kuczmama said:

Homework Statement

infinity
Ʃ [itex]\frac{ln(n)}{n\sqrt{n}}[/itex]
n=1

Homework Equations

I think that I need to use either the limit comparison test or the ratio test.

The Attempt at a Solution

After listing all the terms I found out that the function was positive and decreasing, and that the terms approached 0. However when I used the limit comparison test or the root test I keep on getting an answer of infinity or 0, which is inconclusive. So I don't know how else to approach the problem. Is there something easy that I am overlooking. Thanks.
Show us what you tried for the limit comparison test. I agree that the ratio test would not be conclusive.

I think the best test to use is the ratio test:

If there exists a constant C < 1 such that |an+1/an|<C for all sufficiently large n, then ∑an converges absolutely.

Have you thought about the integral test?

for the limit comparison test I tried a bunch of different comparisons. I said as lim n-> infinity of

lim n→∞. of (ln(n)/(nsqrt(n))/(1/n^5/4).That didnt give me any help. Then I tried comparing it to 1/n^1/4. Then I tried comparing it to a bunch of other stuff but nothing seemed to work. I can't figure out what to do

Also I never thought about the integral test. I will try that

@kuczmama: Don't use the X2 key inside tex brackets. Right click on this to see how to do exponents:

[tex]n^{\frac 3 2}[/tex]

I got that the integral converges to 4. I guess that this means the sum also converges. Thanks a lot guys!

1. What is the definition of convergence and divergence in limits?

In mathematics, a limit is said to converge if it approaches a particular value as the input approaches a certain point. On the other hand, a limit is said to diverge if it does not approach a specific value or if it approaches infinity.

2. How can we determine if a limit converges or diverges?

There are several methods to determine if a limit converges or diverges, such as using the limit laws, evaluating the limit algebraically, or using graphical representations. However, the most commonly used method is the squeeze theorem, which compares the given limit to two other limits with known convergence or divergence.

3. What is the difference between a finite and infinite limit?

A finite limit is one that approaches a specific value as the input approaches a certain point, while an infinite limit is one that approaches infinity as the input approaches a certain point. Finite limits can be either positive or negative, while infinite limits can be positive or negative infinity.

4. Can a limit converge to more than one value?

No, a limit can only converge to one value. If a limit approaches different values from different sides, the limit does not exist and is therefore considered to diverge.

5. Why is it important to determine if a limit converges or diverges?

Determining if a limit converges or diverges provides insight into the behavior of a function at a specific point. This information is crucial in many fields of science and mathematics, such as calculus, physics, and engineering, as it helps in making accurate predictions and solving real-world problems.