Does the log property a*log(x)=log(x^a) still hold if a is even and x

In summary, the log property a*log(x)=log(x^a) still holds even if a is even and x is negative. However, it is important to be cautious when dealing with complex logarithms, as the complex log of 1 has an infinite number of possible values. The principal value of the complex log is denoted as Log(z) and is equal to ln|z| + iθ, where θ is the argument of the complex number and lies in the range -π < arg(z) < π. This means that the sum of the principal complex logs on the left-hand side may not necessarily equal the principal log of the right-hand side.
alexsylvanus
Does the log property a*log(x)=log(x^a) still hold if a is even and x

I imagine that ln(-1)+ln(-1) can't equal zero, even by some mysterious magic involving complex numbers.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sorry if x is negative

It holds, but you have to be careful with complex logarithms.

Your mistake was in assuming that log 1 = 0. This is true when you're dealing with real numbers only, but not necessarily true when you're dealing with complex numbers.

The actual complex log of 1 is ##2k{\pi}i##, where k is an integer. This just becomes the familiar zero when k = 0. But k can be any integer, meaning the complex log has an infinite number of possible values.

More generally, the complex log of a complex no. z is given by ##\log(z) = \ln|z| + i(\theta + 2k\pi)##, where ##\theta## is the argument of the complex no. ##(-\pi < arg(z) < \pi)## and ##\ln|z|## is the usual single-valued real logarithm of the modulus of z.

The principal value of the complex log is often denoted as ##Log(z)## (the capitalisation is intended). It is defined by ##Log(z) = \ln|z| + i\theta##, where the argument ##\theta## lies in the same range as previously defined.

On that basis you can say that your statement holds insofar as the sum of the principal complex logs on the LHS will equal to one possible value of the multivalued complex log on the RHS.

As an example, working with the principal values of the complex logs, ##\log(-1) = i\pi##, so ##2\log(-1) = 2i\pi##, which is also one of the complex values of ##\log 1##.

Note that it is not necessarily the case that the sum of the principal logs on the LHS will equal to the principal log of the RHS. The question you posed is a counterexample, because the principal value of the log of 1 is the usual value, 0.

1. Does the log property a*log(x)=log(x^a) still hold if a is even and x is negative?

Yes, the log property a*log(x)=log(x^a) still holds even if a is even and x is negative. This property holds for all real numbers, regardless of the sign of x.

2. Can the log property be extended to include complex numbers?

Yes, the log property can be extended to include complex numbers. However, the properties of logarithms for complex numbers are more complex and involve the use of complex logarithms and branches.

3. Is the log property only applicable to natural logarithms?

No, the log property a*log(x)=log(x^a) applies to all logarithms, including natural logarithms, common logarithms, and any other base of logarithm.

4. How is the log property related to the power rule for logarithms?

The log property a*log(x)=log(x^a) is essentially the power rule for logarithms. This rule states that the logarithm of a power is equal to the power times the logarithm of the base.

5. Are there any exceptions to the log property?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the log property a*log(x)=log(x^a). For example, if x = 0, the property is undefined. Additionally, if x = 1, the property holds but is trivial since any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1.