Does the rotation of an electron have any meaning?

In summary, the discussion is about whether the concept of "rotation" or "spin" applies to an electron and if so, how it can be measured or understood in tangible terms. Some argue that there is no reference point on the electron to define rotation, while others question if the concept of spin is purely a quantum number with no visual interpretation.
QuestionMarks
Does the "rotation" of an electron have any meaning?

Not sure if this is the right subforum, but thinking of this was rather head-ache inducing.

Is there any sensible meaning to claiming that an electron rotates 360 degrees? Intuitively I would initially say yes, but on second thought I would assume there is no reference points "on it" by which to define this. So does it have any physical meaning, and if so, by what parameter could this be measured?

I suppose I could ask the same for "spin." Can this be thought about in any tangible way, or must we sacrifice it as simply a descriptive quantum number with no visually-intuitive conception?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the meaning of an electron's rotation?

The rotation of an electron refers to its intrinsic angular momentum, or spin. This spin is a fundamental property of the electron and plays a crucial role in many physical phenomena.

2. Does the direction of an electron's rotation matter?

Yes, the direction of an electron's rotation, or spin, is significant in determining its behavior. Electrons can have either a clockwise or counterclockwise spin, and this can affect their interactions with other particles.

3. Can an electron's rotation change?

No, an electron's spin is a constant property and cannot change. It is considered an intrinsic property, meaning it is not affected by external factors such as magnetic fields or electric fields.

4. How is an electron's rotation related to its magnetic moment?

An electron's spin is directly related to its magnetic moment, as the direction of its spin determines the direction of its magnetic field. This is why electrons are often referred to as tiny magnets.

5. Does an electron's rotation have any practical applications?

Yes, the concept of electron spin has many practical applications, including in the development of technology such as MRI machines and spintronics. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules.