Does the rotation of an electron have any meaning?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter QuestionMarks
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electron Rotation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
QuestionMarks
Messages
64
Reaction score
0
Does the "rotation" of an electron have any meaning?

Not sure if this is the right subforum, but thinking of this was rather head-ache inducing.

Is there any sensible meaning to claiming that an electron rotates 360 degrees? Intuitively I would initially say yes, but on second thought I would assume there is no reference points "on it" by which to define this. So does it have any physical meaning, and if so, by what parameter could this be measured?

I suppose I could ask the same for "spin." Can this be thought about in any tangible way, or must we sacrifice it as simply a descriptive quantum number with no visually-intuitive conception?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org