Why do electrons obey Fleming's left hand rule?

In summary, the movement of an electron in a magnetic field is influenced by its charge, causing it to experience a force in a specific direction. This is similar to the way a windmill rotates in response to the direction of the wind due to its twisted blades and anchoring. The direction of the force is determined by convention and history, and there is no intuitive explanation for why the electron goes one way and the positron goes the other. The shape of the electron, being spherical, may make it seem like it could go in any direction, but its charge causes it to consistently move in one direction. This is not a problem unique to electrons, as other charged particles also experience a force in a particular direction.
A Google search for "derivation of Lorentz force law" led me to a fairly recent paper (within the last 15 years) by J. H. Field:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0409103.pdf

The math is surely above the OP's level, but the introduction may nevertheless make for interesting reading. The question "why is the magnetic force law the way it is" is a rather deep question, and it turns out you have to use relativity and some assumptions in order to "answer" it.

Likes BvU
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I think I'm an idiot now...

jtbell said:
The math is surely above the OP's level, but the introduction may nevertheless make for interesting reading. The question "why is the magnetic force law the way it is" is a rather deep question, and it turns out you have to use relativity and some assumptions in order to "answer" it.
Yeah, It is easier than that.

Khashishi said:
We use the same vector representation for angular momentum.
Thanks. That analogy, it was what "clued me in". That seems like why chiral fermions is a problem, as well. I might be jumping off a ledge, but it seems applicable...

jerromyjon said:
You are not alone. I still have not found any logical explanation, only "That's just the way it is." Just to be clear the simplified question is "Why is the force up and not down" as in this image... it logically could be either direction.
View attachment 215014
My previous post explains in terms of electrostatics why it happens that way.
If you have a wire carrying a current, it contains moving charges. If another charge tries to approach it at right angles, it finds itself dragged along by the current. This occurs because of electrostatic action combined with some simple Relativity.

tech99 said:
To detect a magnetic field then you need something else in your empty space.
And now with two other aspects (a current carrying conductor, and an EMF), I have a sense of the angular relationship to have a more intuitive understanding of the magnetic field.
tech99 said:
I am indebted to "jartsa" in yesterday's Classical Physics for bringing the above paper to my attention.
As I am as well to the both of you. I bookmarked it for further study. :-)
mmanyevere said:
If the answer is yes then another angle to the question is how this magnetic field knows to curve in a particular direction.
Simply by charge. An electron goes one way and a positron goes the other. Can you follow the rotation to determine which is which because I still get confused...