Oriented Surfaces & Surface Area: Investigating the Impact

In summary, according to this conversation, a sphere has a surface area if and only if the distance between any two points on the surface is a vector. If the radius of the sphere is considered as a vector, then the surface area is either positive or negative depending on the orientation of the radius.
Trysse
TL;DR Summary
I have the following question: Does it make a difference for the surface area of a sphere if the sphere is inward- and outward-oriented?
I usually think of a sphere as the set of all points ##P_x##, that have the identical distance r to some point ##C## which is the center of the sphere. I calculate the surface area ##A## of the sphere as
$$A=4 \pi (C P_x)^2$$
However, what happens if I think of the distance between the points C and Px not just as a distance but as a vector? If I think of the radius of the sphere as a vector, this vector can either point from the surface of the sphere to the center or from the center to the surface
$$ \vec {CP_x} = \vec{r} = \vec{-r} = \vec{P_x C} $$

Does the direction of the radius (i.e. the orientation of the surface) have an influence on the concept of surface area? I was wondering if it makes sense to say:
$$ A=4π \vec{CP_x}^2=−4π \vec{P_xC}^2 $$

I have done a quick search on Google. However, from what I have found, I got the impression, that the surface area is not really an issue that is considered in the context of oriented surfaces. Or did I just search for the wrong keywords?

https://www.google.com/search?q=ori...rome..69i57.6231j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

1671457084082.png

Could I say that the red sphere has a negative surface area while the green sphere has a positive surface area?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Not to me.
In my world, for any closed surface, the outward normal vector is positive.
This is of course an arbitrary, but adherent, convention.

Likes Trysse
Likes Trysse and DaveE
Trysse said:
P.S: I am unable to make the formula display properly. Can someone help?
Now fixed. There were a couple inconsistencies with left braces not having a matching right brace; i.e., { with ) and { with ].

Likes hutchphd, Trysse and PeroK
Area is a scalar value. When you calculate it starting with a vector, you will have to take the magnitude of the vector to create a scalar result. The magnitude of the radius vector doesn't depend on it's direction.

Note that sometimes vectors are used to describe an "area" with the magnitude describing the area and the direction normal to the surface. Like the cross product of vectors, for example. It still doesn't have negative area, but in vector math you might describe the direction as negative, I guess.

Likes Trysse
Also in optics the radius of curvature is often given a signed value depending upon the focal point.
And the "vector Area" is useful when talking about flow ("flux") through a surface unambiguously.

Likes Trysse

1. What is an oriented surface?

An oriented surface is a surface that has a defined direction or orientation. This means that the surface has a front and back side, and the orientation is consistent throughout the surface.

2. How is surface area calculated?

Surface area is calculated by finding the sum of the areas of all the individual faces of a three-dimensional object. For example, the surface area of a cube is calculated by finding the area of each of its six faces and adding them together.

3. What is the impact of orientation on surface area?

The impact of orientation on surface area varies depending on the shape of the object. In some cases, changing the orientation of an object can increase the surface area, while in others it may decrease it. For example, rotating a rectangular prism can change its surface area, while rotating a sphere will not have an impact on its surface area.

4. How does surface area affect the properties of an object?

The surface area of an object can affect its properties in many ways. For example, a larger surface area can increase the object's ability to absorb or release heat, while a smaller surface area can make it more resistant to air resistance. In biological systems, surface area plays a critical role in processes such as gas exchange and nutrient absorption.

5. How can we investigate the impact of orientation on surface area?

One way to investigate the impact of orientation on surface area is through experimentation. This can involve physically rotating objects and measuring their surface area, or using mathematical models and simulations to predict the impact. Another approach is to analyze real-world examples and observe how changes in orientation affect surface area.