Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the Universe Exist if We're Not Looking?

1. Sep 5, 2014 #1
    Is the universe my own? I mean the whole of it, because I am the observer. If I was not there to observe it, would it exist at all?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure I exist whether you are looking at me or not.

4. Sep 5, 2014 #3
    I guess It would exist, but not as a universe. It would not have any 'thing' in it at all, just undefined masses of undefined unknowable's.

5. Sep 5, 2014 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why? Why would the univese care whether you are looking or not? Did the universe not exist before you were born? If it did not how did you GET here????

6. Sep 5, 2014 #5

Why would it have the ability to care or not care at all? Of course it existed before I or you were born, but without an intelligent or dumb observer, there was nobody to think of it as a universe or something well-defined at all, with discernable substructure, discernable objects, discernable events or anything. You have the ability to care, to discern, to call something by a name, to grasp and behold. Without you or anything like you, what is the universe really?

7. Sep 5, 2014 #6
    Yeah this is very interesting to me as well. I understand that electrons are particles when they're being observed and are waves when they're not so in that case somebody observing something can change the nature of reality. I don't think this applies to the universe as a whole though.

8. Sep 5, 2014 #7
    "You can't see me!" I cried as I covered my eyes.

9. Sep 5, 2014 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, but we don't do philosophy here anymore.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook