Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does this gate construction look okay to you?

1. Mar 25, 2016 #1

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I was helping with a disaster preparedness presentation at a local elementary school last night, and noticed this fence gate in front of the school. I'm not an ME, but it looks to me to have a small problem...?

Wrongway Gate at Schilling Elementary School.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2016 #2
    The diagonal reinforcing cable on the left gate is pulling it into the ground, not up like the right side gate...

4. Mar 25, 2016 #3
    The grass is not growing like on the right.
    The handle is too high for a kid to reach -You have to be "This Big" to use this gate.
    It's locked - is that to keep the kids in, or the cars out.
    An asymmetrical look to the gate. Come on, the kids will think all gates should be like that after 6 years of being there.
    :sorry:

5. Mar 25, 2016 #4

1oldman2

Gold Member

Also the center locking rod is somewhat out of plumb, that along with the reinforcing cable jerromyjon noted totally blows the asthetics.

6. Mar 25, 2016 #5
    I wouldn't have. And would have insisted my friends concur or beat it! (I was really picked on a lot for being too smart, go figure) My best friend and I were most vicious towards each other, it became common to act this way until I learned sympathy!

So now I ask the deeper and more intuitive question of what is the very first indication of illogical construction? I had to really dig deep and go back and remember thinking about it before I saw the conflict of asymmetry. Is there any other way to get the "tip-off" that anyone realizes?

7. Mar 25, 2016 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hinge size.

8. Mar 26, 2016 #7
    Well, the left gate is not an exact mirror image of the right gate.
    And it really is much too busy in the middle "locking" section, for an artistic merit award IMO.
    As for a "tip off" - you will know a really good looking gate when you see one. to me this one looks like a :eek: rather than a :woot:.

9. Mar 26, 2016 #8
    Did you ask them to show you how it opens up? That centre seems to be connected to both gates, but difficult to tell since zooming pixelates the photo for me.

10. Mar 26, 2016 #9

berkeman

The hinges are on the outsides, and the center tie post just has a lock for both gates.

Yeah, the support cable looks wrong for the left gate. It should go from the top hinge corner down to the far corner, to help support the weight of the gate. Not sure how in the world the fence building company could manage to get that wrong, but it's been there for many years now. Luckily that gate hardly ever gets used...

11. Mar 26, 2016 #10
    The hinges also look weird, don't they? The top hinge doesn't seem to be taking any weight, the gate rests on the bottom one, while the top hinge is only there to keep it from falling. Or is this a standard arrangement for this type of gate (so the kids couldn't lift it off the hinges easily or something like that) ?.

12. Mar 26, 2016 #11

berkeman

Several good questions about the hinges. I'll go take some better closeup pics tomorrow, and maybe try to find out what company the city used to build the fences. Dumb mistake, IMO.

13. Mar 27, 2016 #12
    Yes, jerromyjon, saw that right away.

I am wondering how by unlocking the gate it is still able to open up.
    The clasp from the right gate seems to bolted around the tie post.
    It could be just a matter of resolution of that mechanism

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  14. Mar 27, 2016 #13
    That looks like it will just limit the distance you can lift the center pole, which probably only needs inches to clear the hole which retains it. It is really difficult to see with the limited resolution.

15. Mar 28, 2016 #14
    The turn buckle on the left gate is backwards, but the gussets are welded in so there isn't much you can do with that. If it functions as it is and isn't a safety concern then I'd say let if fly, if not then it will have to be modified or rebuilt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted