Does this mean the speed of x ray faster than light in vaccum

In summary, refractive index is a measure of the bending of light when passing from one medium to another and is defined as the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction. The refractive index of X-rays in glass and other materials is greater than in empty space, which does not violate special relativity as it puts a limit on the signal speed rather than the phase velocity. In a plane wave, the phase velocity can surpass the speed of light, but this does not correspond to the actual motion of anything.
einstein1921
http://global.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/495677/refractive-index
refractive index, also called index of refraction, measure of the bending of a ray of light when passing from one medium into another. If i is the angle of incidence of a ray in vacuum (angle between the incoming ray and the perpendicular to the surface of a medium, called the normal; see figure) and r is the angle of refraction (angle between the ray in the medium and the normal), the refractive index n is defined as the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction; i.e., n = sin i / sin r. Refractive index is also equal to the velocity c of light of a given wavelength in empty space divided by its velocity v in a substance, or n = c/v.

Some typical refractive indices for yellow light (wavelength equal to 589 nanometres [10−9 metre]) are the following: air, 1.0002; water, 1.333; crown glass, 1.517; dense flint glass, 1.655; and diamond, 2.417. The variation of refractive index with wavelength is the source of chromatic aberration in lenses. The refractive index of X-rays is slightly less than 1.0, which means that an X-ray entering a piece of glass from air will be bent away from the normal, unlike a ray of light, which will be bent toward the normal. The equation n = c/v in this case indicates, correctly, that the velocity of X-rays in glass and in other materials is greater than its velocity in empty space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
The phase velocity in matter can exceed the speed of light in vacuum. It does not transmit any information, however.
Even the group velocity can do this in some rare circumstances (with high absorption in the material).
The signal speed ("how fast can I transmit data") cannot exceed the speed of light.

In vacuum, all three speeds are the same. In matter, things are more complicated.

To add to what mfb said, I'm pretty sure the only way you could use the phase velocity to transmit information would be to detect changes in the phase velocity. Those changes will propagate at a speed less than or equal to the speed of light in whichever medium you're considering.

Last edited:
mfb said:
The phase velocity in matter can exceed the speed of light in vacuum. It does not transmit any information, however.
Even the group velocity can do this in some rare circumstances (with high absorption in the material).
The signal speed ("how fast can I transmit data") cannot exceed the speed of light.

In vacuum, all three speeds are the same. In matter, things are more complicated.

thank you for your answer. "phase velocity in matter can exceed the speed of light in vacuum" .Does this violate special relativity in which the speed of light in vacuum is the limit of speed? why?
PS:why " It does not transmit any information"?

Does this violate special relativity in which the speed of light in vacuum is the limit of speed?
No. Special relativity puts a limit on the signal speed.

" It does not transmit any information"?
To get a propagating phase at some point, you need the signal ("information") to arrive (slower than light) first.

einstein1921 said:
thank you for your answer. "phase velocity in matter can exceed the speed of light in vacuum" .Does this violate special relativity in which the speed of light in vacuum is the limit of speed? why?
PS:why " It does not transmit any information"?
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Look at the middle-left figure below, where the phase velocity is greater than the group velocity. The red dot indicates the phase velocity, moving along with the peak of a wave.

But the signal or pulse (i.e. the information) is represented by the broad peak enveloping the group of waves. It travels more slowly than the phase velocity, and the blue dot indicates how fast this travels as it moves along with the signal pulse.

littlewavepackets.gif
(from this web page)

mfb said:
No. Special relativity puts a limit on the signal speed.

To get a propagating phase at some point, you need the signal ("information") to arrive (slower than light) first.

thank you! what does "velocity of X-rays in glass " mean ? phase velocity or group velocity?
by the way, I don't say about wave packet,I just say plane wave(x ray wave). Does plane wave
have group velocity ?

einstein1921 said:
thank you! what does "velocity of X-rays in glass " mean ? phase velocity or group velocity?
There is no single "velocity of [whatever] in glass", that is exactly my point.

by the way, I don't say about wave packet,I just say plane wave(x ray wave). Does plane wave
have group velocity ?
Well, you can still calculate the group velocity, but a plane wave will be independent of that.

Redbelly98 said:
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Look at the middle-left figure below, where the phase velocity is greater than the group velocity. The red dot indicates the phase velocity, moving along with the peak of a wave.

But the signal or pulse (i.e. the information) is represented by the broad peak enveloping the group of waves. It travels more slowly than the phase velocity, and the blue dot indicates how fast this travels as it moves along with the signal pulse.

[PLAIN]http://resource.isvr.soton.ac.uk/spcg/tutorial/tutorial/Tutorial_files/littlewavepackets.gif[/INDENT][/INDENT]
(from this web page)​

Thank you! The equation n = c/v in this case indicates, correctly, that the velocity of X-rays in glass and in other materials is greater than its velocity in empty space. if we consider plane wave,not wave packet, is this correct? I don't understand why the velocity of x ray can surpass light in vaccuum! thank you!​

einstein1921 said:
if we consider plane wave,not wave packet, is this correct? I don't understand why the velocity of x ray can surpass light in vaccuum! thank you!
Some specific speed in the description of the plane wave (the phase velocity) is faster than light. This is not the motion of anything! The phase velocity is not restricted in any way - it can even go backwards.

1. What is the speed of x-rays in a vacuum?

The speed of x-rays in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, which is the same as the speed of light in a vacuum.

2. Can x-rays travel faster than light in a vacuum?

No, according to the Theory of Relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any particle or wave can travel in a vacuum. Therefore, x-rays cannot travel faster than light in a vacuum.

3. Why is the speed of x-rays compared to the speed of light in a vacuum?

The speed of light in a vacuum is a fundamental constant in the universe, and it serves as a reference point for comparing the speeds of other particles and waves, such as x-rays.

4. Are there any exceptions to the speed of light in a vacuum?

In certain materials, such as water or glass, the speed of light can appear to be slower than in a vacuum. This is due to the interaction of light with the atoms and molecules in the material. However, in a vacuum, the speed of light is always constant and cannot be exceeded.

5. How does the speed of x-rays in a vacuum impact their use in medical imaging?

The fact that x-rays travel at the speed of light in a vacuum is essential in medical imaging. It allows for the precise timing and detection of x-rays as they pass through the body, producing clear and accurate images. It also enables the use of specialized equipment, such as detectors and computer algorithms, to capture and analyze the x-rays at high speeds.