Does Water Depth Affect Marine Propeller Resistance and Cavitation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
copria
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Is there a noticable diffence in torque required to spin a marine propeller at a constant rpm (say 2000rpm) when under a different water column? (5m vs 35m)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Not much, water isn't very compressible.
ussually the problem is running them near the surface, the impact from air onto the surface of the water causes cavitation.
 
If I want to optimize the energy release from cavitation would it be better to have a shallow water column (producing larger amounts of cavitation) or a deep water column (larger force collapsing the cavitation bubble)?
or
Would both cases yield the same energy release?

assuming the propeller is at a constant speed
 
Last edited:
No, I want to create cavitation (like a cavitation water heater).

Sorry I did not specify earlier.