1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Domain and how it relates to a Level Curve

1. Feb 13, 2015 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the domain of the function f(x,y) = 1/sqrt(x^2-y). Sketch the level curves f=1, f=1/2, f=1/3.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Domain is rather simple to find: x^2>y AND x^2-y cannot equal 0.

Level curves are also simple to find. They are simply parabolas that are shifted down according to what f =1. For f=1 shift the parabola down 1. For f=1/2 shift the parabola down 4. For f=3 shift the parabola down 9.

My simple question is this: Upon looking at my level curve graph, I notice that anything inside the y=x^2-1 parabola is NOT consistent with the domain.
    I would then 'mark' this section off in my level curve? (say, darken it out and clarify that it is NOT in the domain).
    or
    Would I leave it as is as it isn't needed in the level curve?

I can't seem to find a clear quick answer on google. Seems logical that I would clarify that it is not part of the graph.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

More simply, this is y < x2, all the points in the plane that are below the graph of y = x2.
    How are you getting this? The point (0, -1/2) is "inside" the parabola y = x2 + 1, and f(0, -1/2) = ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{0 - (-1/2)}}## is defined.

4. Feb 13, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No need to go inside. Your level curve is that parabola itself, and it is completely inside the domain (i.e. below y = x2)

5. Feb 13, 2015 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It would be much clearer if you wrote how you got those (correct) statements. When you set ##f(x,y)=c## you have ##\frac 1 {\sqrt{x^2-y}} = c##. This immediately tells you that ##c>0##, there are no level curves for ##c\le 0##, and the simplified equations of the level curves are ##y=x^2-\frac 1 {c^2}##.

6. Feb 13, 2015 #5

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Okay, guys:
    Thank you for the tips. I see that I was wrong to think that anything above y=x^2-1 is out of the domain.

However, this conversation leads me to believe that y=x^2 is the part that needs to be shaded out, correct?

7. Feb 14, 2015 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

And all of the points inside this parabola. Maybe that's what you meant, but it isn't what you said.

8. Feb 14, 2015 #7

RJLiberator

Gold Member

I thought it was y=x^2-1. I see my error thanks to your observations. I see that it is y=x^2 as the shaded part. :)

9. Feb 14, 2015 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

He ho, you do it again: y=x2 is a line, you can't shade that !

10. Feb 14, 2015 #9

RJLiberator

Gold Member

What do you mean? y=x^2 is a parabola and the shaded part is the region above y=x^2.

11. Feb 14, 2015 #10

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, so the wording "I see that it is y=x^2 as the shaded part" keeps triggering folks like Mark and me to point out that that can't be done.

And you want to shade ##y\ge x^2## although it's difficult to distinguish from ## y > x^2 ## :)

(Not all lines are straight lines...)

12. Feb 14, 2015 #11

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Ahhhhhh
    The inequality is the one that we are looking for. I understand. Thank you for pointing out the error in my wording.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted