Domain and range can't be negative

In summary, assuming h is injective and g is not, the functions f and g can be defined as f(a)=\sqrt{a} from [0, infinity]→[0,infinity] and g(b)=b2 from [all real numbers]→[0,infinity]. This serves as a counter example to the statement that if h is injective, then g is injective. The square root in this example does not cause any issues as the domain and range of the functions cannot be negative.
EV33

Homework Statement

Given f:A→B and g:B→C, let h=g(f(a))

If h is injective, then g is injective.

Give a counter example.

Homework Equations

Injection: Let f:A→B

For all f(x1)=f(x2) implies x1=x2

The Attempt at a Solution

f(a)=[tex]\sqrt{a}[/tex] from [0, infinity]→[0,infinity]

g(b)=b2 from [all real numbers]→[0,infinity]

h(a)=a from [0, infinity]→[0,infinity]

Assuming h is injective and g is not, then this is a counter example. My problem is I am not sure if the square root messes things up here. I know that the square root of a squared is plus or minus a, but because the domain and range can't be negative ( I think), then this works.

So is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

I believe you are correct.

1. What is the significance of "domain and range can't be negative" in scientific research?

The concept of domain and range being restricted to positive values is important in scientific research because it allows for more accurate and meaningful interpretations of data. When working with negative values, it can lead to erroneous conclusions and inaccurate predictions.

2. Why is it important to specify that domain and range can't be negative?

Specifying that domain and range can't be negative helps to establish clear boundaries and limitations for the variables being studied. This helps to prevent any misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the data.

3. Can there be exceptions to the rule that domain and range can't be negative?

In some cases, there may be exceptions to this rule depending on the specific context and application. However, in most scientific research, it is generally accepted that domain and range should not include negative values.

4. How does restricting domain and range to positive values affect mathematical calculations?

Restricting domain and range to positive values can simplify mathematical calculations and make them more manageable. It also allows for a clearer understanding of the relationship between the variables being studied.

5. Are there any alternative terms for "domain and range can't be negative"?

Yes, some alternative terms for this concept include "non-negative domain and range", "positive domain and range", or "domain and range limited to positive values". These terms all convey the same idea that domain and range should not include negative values.