Domain & Range of f(x)=-√(t(1-t))

Range: 0≤tIn summary, the function f(x) = -√(t(1-t)) has a domain of 0 ≤ t ≤ 1 and a range of 0 ≤ t. However, it was incorrectly stated that the range was -0.5 ≤ t ≤ 0. After substituting in the domain values, it was found that the range is actually 0. While it may appear that the highest value the function attains is 0, this is not the case as it is under a radical. The midpoint of the interval [0,1] is also not the highest value the function attains.
Procrastinate
f(x) = -√(t(1-t))

Domain: 0≤t≥1 (from Null Factor law)
Range: 0≤t

However, the range was wrong. The answers said that it was -0.5≤t≥0. I have no idea where the -0.5 came from. I substituted the domain values in but i didn't work. It just came out with zero.

Can anyone suggest any ideas without the use of minimums?

Physics news on Phys.org
Procrastinate said:
f(x) = -√(t(1-t))

Range: 0≤t

However, the range was wrong. The answers said that it was -0.5≤t≥0. I have no idea where the -0.5 came from. I substituted the domain values in but i didn't work. It just came out with zero.

Can anyone suggest any ideas without the use of minimums?

Well, there is a minus sign on the front of that radical.

Now, what is the biggest value that the function t(1-t) attains?

Robert1986 said:
Well, there is a minus sign on the front of that radical.

Now, what is the biggest value that the function t(1-t) attains?

I would say zero.

Procrastinate said:
I would say zero.

It isn't zero, but let's assume for the moment that it is zero. Since t(1-t) is under the radical, this would imply that the range of the function is simply 0 since nothing under the radical can be negative. This, in turn, implies that the function t(1-t) must be zero on the interval [0,1]. Clearly, this isn't the case, so 0 is not the highest value the function attains.

What about the midpoint of the interval [0,1]?

Procrastinate said:
f(x) = -√(t(1-t))

Quibble about what you wrote for the domain: it should be 0 ≤ t 1 .

Related to Domain & Range of f(x)=-√(t(1-t))

What is the domain of the function f(x)=-√(t(1-t))?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values. In this case, t represents the input values, so the domain is all real numbers.

What is the range of the function f(x)=-√(t(1-t))?

The range of a function is the set of all possible output values. In this case, the output values are the result of taking the square root of t(1-t). Since t(1-t) can never be negative, the range of this function is all non-negative real numbers.

What are the x-intercepts of the function f(x)=-√(t(1-t))?

The x-intercepts of a function are the points where the graph crosses the x-axis. To find the x-intercepts, we set the function equal to 0 and solve for t. In this case, we get t=0 and t=1 as the x-intercepts.

What are the y-intercepts of the function f(x)=-√(t(1-t))?

The y-intercepts of a function are the points where the graph crosses the y-axis. To find the y-intercepts, we plug in t=0 and solve for the y-value. In this case, we get y=0 as the y-intercept.

What is the behavior of the function f(x)=-√(t(1-t)) as t approaches infinity or negative infinity?

As t approaches infinity, the function approaches 0. This can be seen by plugging in a large number for t, and the square root will become smaller and smaller. As t approaches negative infinity, the function also approaches 0, as the square root will still be taking the positive square root of a negative number, resulting in a small positive number.