Donkey for a cart and the carrot for a magnet

In summary, my buddy and I had a discussion the other day about whether a cart will move if there is a magnet attached to it. My buddy is pretty sure that it won't, but I think that it will. If the conditions are such that the two objects are magnetically attracted, they will not move (roll) if the magnet is rigidly attached to the cart by some kind of overhang. If the magnet is not attached to the cart in any way then there will be some attraction.
Atilla1982
Me and my buddy had a discussion the other day.
Imagine the scenario with the donkey that has a danglin carrot in front of him. If we swap the donkey for a cart and the carrot for a magnet, what would happen?
My buddy was pretty sure that the cart would move, and I thought that it wouldn't. So who is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the conditions were such that the two objects were magnetically attracted, they would not move (roll) if the magnet is rigidly attached to the cart by some kind of overhang. If the magnet is not attached to the cart in any way then there will be some attraction.

yeah, there would be an overhang. The magnet and cart would be one, but there's a gap between them. My friend is still convinced that the cart will roll anyway. Can anyone please explain why it won' t ?

What the cart is made of is important, as to whether you get paramagnetic or ferromagnetic effects.

It depends whether you mean 'will the cart will move', or 'will there be a magnetic force'. Also remember there will always be very weak diamagnetic effects, because all substances are diamagnetic.

If you're talking about a four-wheeled horse of Troy to substitute for your donkey, and a carrot-shaped magnet, the cart won't move. But if the cart is an iron Matchbox car, and your magnet is very strong, it will...

If the magnet and cart are rigidly attached, then there's something holding them apart. So all that will happen is the stuff between the magnet and the cart will get squashed. If it's rigid, it can't get squashed. So nothing moves.

If it were true that you could get something to move as your friend proposes, you could weld a magnet on a stick to your car, and you wouldn't need an engine.

Atilla1982 said:
yeah, there would be an overhang. The magnet and cart would be one, but there's a gap between them. My friend is still convinced that the cart will roll anyway. Can anyone please explain why it won' t ?
Simple answer : Newton's Third Law. The force pulling the cart forward to the magnet = force pulling the magnet bacwards to the cart. Since the magnet is rigidly attached to the cart, this force is transferred to the cart. The total force on the whole system is thus, ZERO. Momentum is conserved - nothing happens.

Thanx a lot all. I guess gokul's answer will put an end to our discussion, and my friend's arguments :smile:

1. What is the meaning behind the phrase "Donkey for a cart and the carrot for a magnet"?

The phrase refers to the concept of using incentives to motivate behavior. In this case, the donkey represents the force that pulls the cart (i.e. motivation), while the carrot represents the reward (i.e. incentive). It suggests that by offering a desirable reward, one can influence behavior in a desired direction.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the use of incentives in behavior modification?

Yes, there have been numerous studies in psychology and behavioral economics that have shown the effectiveness of incentives in motivating behavior. For example, research has shown that offering a reward can increase the likelihood of a person completing a task or reaching a goal.

3. Can incentives be used in all situations to influence behavior?

No, the effectiveness of incentives can vary depending on the situation and the individual. Some people may respond well to incentives, while others may not find them motivating at all. Additionally, the type of incentive used and how it is implemented can also impact its effectiveness.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using incentives in behavior modification?

Yes, there can be potential drawbacks to relying solely on incentives for behavior change. For example, if the rewards are only offered temporarily, the desired behavior may not be sustained in the long-term. Additionally, some individuals may become dependent on the incentives and lose motivation without them.

5. How can the concept of "Donkey for a cart and the carrot for a magnet" be applied in real-life situations?

This concept can be applied in various settings, such as in the workplace, schools, and even in personal relationships. For example, employers may use incentives such as bonuses or promotions to motivate employees to work harder. In schools, teachers may use rewards to encourage students to complete assignments or improve their grades. In relationships, partners may use small rewards or gestures to motivate each other to show love and appreciation.