Dont understand how they did this derivative

• Thread starter leonne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the derivative of a specific equation, with a focus on understanding the steps and reasoning behind each part of the solution. The final answer is (-2GM/r^3)+((3j^2)/r^4), with the initial confusion centered around the use of GM/r^2 instead of -GM/r and the presence of ((j^2)/r^3) instead of (j^2)/2r^2. Through further clarification and the use of the X2 icon, the original poster was able to understand the process of taking a derivative twice and reach a resolution.
leonne

Homework Statement

Dont understand how they did this derivative

Homework Equations

k=(d^2 (I))/dr^2
were(I)(r)=(-gm/r)+(j^2)/2r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

so using the k =... they got [d/dr((GM/r^2)-((j^2)/r^3)
than they got (-2GM/r^3)+((3j^2)/r^4) as answer I know how they got this but don't see how they got the first part like why its GM/r^2 and not -GM/r and why ((j^2)/r^3) and not (j^2)/2r^2 was thinking maybe they multiply and r because its dr^2 but what happen to the 2 in (j^2)/2r^2
thxs

Physics news on Phys.org
hi leonne! :smile:

(you must start using the X2 icon just above the Reply box … your post is very difficult to read :redface:)
leonne said:
… than they got (-2GM/r^3)+((3j^2)/r^4) as answer I know how they got this but don't see how they got the first part like why its GM/r^2 and not -GM/r and why ((j^2)/r^3) and not (j^2)/2r^2 was thinking maybe they multiply and r because its dr^2 but what happen to the 2 in (j^2)/2r^2

i'm confused :confused:

you do know that d2I/dr2 is d/dr of dI/dr ?

o ok I get it now just take the derivative 2 times ill use the x2 next time lol keep on forgetting thxs

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate at which one quantity changes in relation to another. It can also be thought of as the slope of a curve at a specific point.

Why is it important to understand how to do derivatives?

Derivatives are used in many scientific and mathematical fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering, to model and analyze the behavior of variables. Understanding how to do derivatives allows for a deeper understanding of these systems and can help in making predictions and solving problems.

How do you do a derivative?

To do a derivative, you must first identify the function or equation that represents the relationship between two variables. Then, you can use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule or the chain rule, to find the derivative of the function.

What are some common mistakes when doing derivatives?

Some common mistakes when doing derivatives include forgetting to apply the chain rule, mixing up the order of operations, and making algebraic errors. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

Are there any real-world applications of derivatives?

Yes, derivatives have many real-world applications. For example, they are used in economics to calculate marginal revenue and marginal cost, in physics to determine the velocity and acceleration of objects, and in engineering to optimize designs and control systems.