I dont understand homopolar motors

In summary, the conversation is discussing the movement of liquid in a homopolar motor and the role of electrons and magnetic fields. The speaker mentions a diagram showing similarities to Faraday's mercury motor. They also discuss the forces acting on the electrons and the role of the permanent magnet in the motor.
pkc111
upload_2015-12-20_19-20-21.png

I understand the diagram above where the blue stuff might be mercury like in Faraday's mercury motor. I don't understand why the liquid moves but... it is a conductor so why doesn't the current (moving electrons) feel the force and leave the liquid stationary?
Similarly in this motor its the liquid that moves?

Many Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
There are homopolar motors that exert a force on the electrons in the (solid) rotor, and the electrons then carry the atomic nuclei with them, for example in an electrostatic voltmeter.

However in this case I believe the cell exerts an electrostatic force on the electrons in the copper wires and in the liquid, and the moving electrons create a magnetic field. What we are seeing is the interaction between the permanent field magnet and the magnetic field created by the current.

Related to I dont understand homopolar motors

What is a homopolar motor?

A homopolar motor is a type of electric motor that uses a direct current (DC) power supply to produce rotational motion. It consists of a magnet, a battery, and a conducting wire that is free to rotate.

How does a homopolar motor work?

A homopolar motor works by using the Lorentz force, which is the force exerted on a charged particle when it moves through a magnetic field. The conducting wire, or armature, carries the electric current from the battery and interacts with the magnetic field created by the magnet, causing the wire to rotate.

What are the advantages of a homopolar motor?

One advantage of a homopolar motor is its simplicity, as it only requires a few components and can be easily built by students or hobbyists. It also has a high power-to-weight ratio, making it useful in some applications such as high-speed trains and naval propulsion systems.

What are some common uses for homopolar motors?

Homopolar motors are commonly used in educational settings to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetism and electric motors. They are also used in some industrial and military applications, such as particle accelerators and magnetic weapons.

What are some common misconceptions about homopolar motors?

One common misconception about homopolar motors is that they are only capable of producing low-speed rotations. While they are not suitable for high-speed applications, they can still reach relatively high speeds and can be used in some industrial settings.